News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Again: massive server overload with J 3.9.1

Started by marscom, December 03, 2018, 14:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marscom

Hi all,

as stated in this thread: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=141342.new;topicseen#new there was a massive server overload with J 3.8.13. As GJC Web Design proposed, I enabled the 404 error handling in VM - and this helped. Before I start clicking and enabling/disabling around: Now we have again a really massive server overload since the update to J 3.9.1. Is there another fix for that problem? Or do I simply have to ... disable the error handling again?

Thanks in advance for your precious hints,

Martin

jenkinhill

You don't say which VM version, but the 404 issue was fixed for com_virtuemart.3.4.3.9989  - http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

marscom

Hi jenkinhill,

thanks for your quick reply! Actually, I use 3.4.2 and I cannot see any update hint. Is it a release candidate or do I simply have to download the files you linked to and upload them - without destroying the current shop?

Sorry for my hesitating with updating ... but I'm rather careful as this shop is quite big...

Kind regards
Martin

jenkinhill

As with all updates, of Joomla as well as extensions, you should test on a copy of the live site first before updating the live site itself.  You won't lose any data etc when you update. 3.4.3.9989 is officially a beta, but has a lot of bug fixes, and is the version I use.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

marscom

I'll give it a try... Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your suggestions.

Let's cross fingers  ;)

Kind regards

Martin

marscom

Hi jenkinhill,

after having updated according to your beta version, the server is even more overloaded (see attachments). We really are at the end of our knowledge. The server is nearly breaking down...

Every hint appreciated.

Kind regards

Martin

Studio 42

When i check your graphics, you have more traffic as before.
Have you check if this is not some hack attempt and have nothing todo with Virtuemart ?

marscom

We actually are subscribed to SiteGuarding to protect the site. They usually do their job very good.

The thing is, that the first series of overload had to do with the 404-error-handling which we activated according to a hint on this forum. The new overload started when updating Joomla to 3.9.1. And now, after having updated VM, it seems even more loaded...

What information or screenshots can I provide you?

jenkinhill

I'd look at the raw access logs to see if there is a clue there. It is a good way to check for hacking attempts.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

marscom

Doesn't look like. Just the usual ones, like this:

2018-12-04T14:14:33+00:00   INFO 91.210.147.71   joomlafailure   Benutzername und Passwort falsch oder das Benutzerkonto existiert noch nicht!

But that's about a hundred or so per day.

But what makes me a little wondering is the mass of Google requests according to the stat (attached). There are some 1314186 hits in december just by Google.

AH

You may want to turn Virtuemart 404 handling off

Dodgy urls are rewarded by a VM shop page which drains resources - some people want this - I prefer a true redirect or nothing!

Another thing you can do is to return a very unhelpful and small 403 message using .htaccess

ErrorDocument 403 "Forbidden"

If you add this at the end of .htaccess - then you only give over a few bites to people using crap urls instead of rewarding them with a 404 page and bandwidth.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

marscom

I just added the htaccess code. Let's see...

Thanks so much for your caring!!!

Martin

AH

Did you turn off VM error handling? - if you leave it on, some bad shop requests will get redirected to a VM shop page
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

marscom

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0