News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Canonical category / duplicate content solutions

Started by EIF, November 26, 2018, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EIF

I have the same product in multiple categories. I know that virtuemart will automatically add a canonical tag, because there is duplicate content. Google will filter the urls, where some are indexed, and some are not. But the indexed pages are not always the pages I like google to have indexed. For example:

Product A is in Cat A, Cat B, Cat C and Cat D. I have a menu which displays the content of each category, so: Menu A links to Cat A, Menu B links to Cat B, Menu C links to Cat C and Menu D links to Cat D. So there are 4 url's linking to the same Product A.

Google does not index all url's because the duplicate content. Mostly Menu A - Cat A is indexed and not the other menu's/categories. But in SEO point of view, and also in customer navigation experience, sometimes is better to index a product in a other menu/category/url.

When I have Product A and Product B, it is ok that Product A is indexed in menu/cat A. But I like to have Product B indexed in Menu / Cat C. The textual description in Cat C matches better with Product B. So that's why I like to have this url get indexed.

How can you manage this? In virtuemart there is the field "Force Canonical category". Can I arrange it all with this field?

I am using virtuemart 3.4.2 and joomla 3.9