News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Mail footer - Vendor name vs Store name

Started by Rune Rasmussen, October 24, 2018, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune Rasmussen

There is an old "annoyance" in the mail footer, which at least doesn't make sense to me as it is, but maybe other feels different about it?

Look at line 36-38 in http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/repository/entry/trunk/virtuemart/components/com_virtuemart/views/invoice/tmpl/mail_html_footer.php

At line 36 the vendor name is inserted as a link to the store, in a sentence like:
"Thank you for purchasing at VENDOR NAME"

To me it seems like this should be the name of the webshop instead, as it would fit better to that sentence:
"Thank you for purchasing at STORE NAME"

Also because VENDOR NAME is repeated on next line (L38) again ...

My wish/recommendation is to change L36 into:
echo vmText::_('COM_VIRTUEMART_MAIL_FOOTER' ) . '<a href="'.$link.'">'.$this->vendor->vendor_store_name.'</a>';
Rune Rasmussen - https://www.syntaxerror.no/

Norwegian Translation Team

StefanSTS

Even I found it quite strange in the beginning that there were like three lines saying the same thing, but I think, this is more a generic draft for users to have an idea what can be done.

For my customers I always have custom overrides for mail and invoice now. Mails and invoices should be specially designed or you use a good template.
Most templates come with their own overrides anyway and so the issue doesn't really come up too often.

Many views in core VM offer some generic stuff, that you mostly throw out or remake in your overrides. I like the idea that the core actually doesn't look perfect already, otherwise much less users would be bothered to make their own designs and wouldn't that be boring to see all shops being a copy of the other?

Just my 2 cents
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Rune Rasmussen

Yes, use of overrides is good. But also templates comes with this same behaviour in their overrides, because they more or less copied it from core. And then, if you change it there, you need to remember to do it on each update touching the same file, and if it's just to correct this it feels quite wasted.

If it's wrong/confusing for people, there is no reason to not correct it.

Building an confusing/ugly system just to force users to modify it sounds like a bad/weird idea to me, even if I understand your point and thinking.

Just my 2 cents ;)
Rune Rasmussen - https://www.syntaxerror.no/

Norwegian Translation Team

StefanSTS

In my layouts I have a switch to switch it off for good, no need to have a look at it all the time. ;-)

You could use good templates like from VirtuePlanet, updating the template won't mess with your overrides.

Yes, it could be removed, maybe even have all that in the configuration settings to add to your liking with variables or fixed text.
There is work going on for the Admin Area, maybe that will be made a point there. I will add it to the issues there.

Thanks for bringing it up.
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.