News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Image names ending with full stop (dot) before extension .jpg missing full size

Started by bestcons, September 30, 2018, 12:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestcons

I became aware that in Virtuemart the product images names with a dot before the extension .jpg (so "image name"..jpg) are not shown in the full image albeit in the thumb image. Rather the image with the text "Product Image Unavailable" is seen. Clicking on this image brings up the original image, but visitors are not aware of this work-around. This problem never showed up in the past.
I use Virtuemart 3.4.0 and Joomla 3.8.12.

StefanSTS

The reporting function is to report spam not to push your questions to the moderators to answer.

Please do not do that in future.

Thank you.
Stefan

--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

jjk

I think you shouldn't use additional dots in your filenames. Some browsers and operating systems probably will have trouble to interpret such filenames correctly.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

bestcons

We have done this for years without any problem. In the meantime the website, belonging to an association, has a collection of over 10.000 images, partly containing images wit names including double dots.
My gutfeeling says it is a VM bug, hence I posted our problem in this Forum.

jjk

If I'm not mistaken, double dots in an image file name get stripped for security reasons by VM in the file mediahandler.php. However, that code has not been changed for years. The association should better stick to the naming conventions for files. If you need to rename a lot of such files, you could use a free tool like www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

bestcons

Three remarks.
1. The (historical) association presents a.o. old postcards. The convention is to use the front text as name, after which the extension is added. This text is also shown in the short description. So names ending with a dot differ from the ones without dot. Where this is too limited, a sequence number (x) is added. So renaming is in fact not an option, it would ruin the whole system :-(.
2. The thumb images with double dot are present. Clicking for the details brings up "Product Image Unavailable". However clicking on this Image brings up the expected enlarged image. So all the data are available.
3. The association also describes farmhouses en presents these in most cases with multiple images. In the image name sometimes abbreviated "without date" is added (in Dutch z.d.). This als leads to images with names including double dot. However these additional images are shown without any problem.