News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

paypal standard - email to customers

Started by guardiano78, October 05, 2018, 18:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guardiano78

Hello,
in PayPal administration i set "Pending transactions" = "Waiting for Payment" (See attached picture PayPal_std.jpg).
I have some questions:
1. If transaction fail, order status is setted to "Pending" .... why do not change in "Waiting for Payment" ?
2. Is it possible to send email to customer also for Pending status ?
    In Configuration, Email tab, Pending is not displayed under "Default Order Status to send email to shopper" (email_configuration.jpg).

Thanks.

joomla 3.8.12 - virtuemart 3.2.2

GJC Web Design

Quote1. If transaction fail,

failed in what way?  What is paypal sending back in the IPN?

Quote2. Is it possible to send email to customer also for Pending status ?

This ability was removed a long time ago for reasons I forget - if u want a customer email at this status just make a custom status and sent that instead of Pending
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

guardiano78

Hi GJC Web Design,

in my tests I analyzed 2 cases:
1. the shopper concludes the order and is redirected to paypal; Decides not to pay and click on the link to go back to the store. In this case, virtuemart stores the order and sets the status to "Cancelled" (neither the vendor nor the shopper receives the order's e-mails)
2. the shopper concludes the order and is redirected to paypal; in the paypal site, for any reason, he wasn't able to pay, he gets impatient and closes the page. In this case, virtuemart stores the order and sets the status to "Pending" even if in administration I selected "Waiting for payment" (neither the vendor nor the shopper receive the order's e-mails)

In case 1 it would also be good for me;
In case 2 instead, I would have liked that shopper and vendor received an email with the order just did, having the status "Waiting for payment", as I set in the payment method paypal in administration(see the picture of paypal configuration).

Thanks.

AH

In the configuration of the PayPal,  "Pending transactions" configuration is the status to set for a returned IPN state

The pending transaction state - means that PayPal are awaiting confirmation.  This means that the client has concluded all the payment details and completed the transaction.  But paypal have not confirmed the payment - so they send you an IPN update - the status you have configured will then be set.

If the customer has done nothing with concluding the payment (your example 2) then you will receive nothing from PayPal.

The order was saved to the database before the attempt for a payment is made and is given a VM status of P - this initial saving of the order and setting of the order status does not generate any emails.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

guardiano78

Hello AH,
QuoteThe order was saved to the database before the attempt for a payment is made and is given a VM status of P
So the "Pending transactions" setting is useless ... the initial state will always be "Pending" regardless of what I set it?

Quotethis initial saving of the order and setting of the order status does not generate any emails
Is there no way to send the e-mail to the shopper and the seller to inform them of what happened to his order?

Thank you.

AH

QuoteSo the "Pending transactions" setting is useless ... the initial state will always be "Pending" regardless of what I set it?

Paypal pending and VM pending are not the same thing. It is not useless - it is there to handle the IPN return status of "Pending" (The payment is awaiting processing)

The order always starts at a VM P state that is set by VM - It is handed over to the payment plugin.  The plugin handles all other payment automated states that are configured within that plugin. 

QuoteIs there no way to send the e-mail to the shopper and the seller to inform them of what happened to his order?

Not via automated means, that I know of.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0