News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[VM 3.4.0.99] Error in custom plugins saving

Started by balai, September 24, 2018, 15:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balai

Hi

After testing VM 3.4.0.99 i found out that it does not trigger the function plgVmOnStoreInstallPluginTable in vmcustom plugins.
This function is normally called after saving a custom field, for processes that regard the plugin (e.g. saving on it's own tables).

By further research i found out that the function is not triggered because it is commented out in the file:administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/custom.php
line 412
// $error = $dispatcher->trigger('plgVmOnStoreInstallPluginTable', array('custom' , $data, $table));

Comparing that file/code with previous releases seems like there is the issue.

I am looking forward for your feedback, since most plugins are now quite useless and getting a ton of complaints from customers

Milbo

Alright, thank you.

The code got "accidently" commented. It was disturbing working on the new feature and the idea was to implement it like that.

if($table->field_type == 'E'){
JPluginHelper::importPlugin('vmcustom');
$dispatcher = JDispatcher::getInstance();
$error = $dispatcher->trigger('plgVmOnStoreInstallPluginTable', array('custom' , $data, $table));
}

Somehow I oversaw it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

balai

Studio 42

Hum, is 3.4 a beta or not ?
You complained for some years about code changes, but each new release we have to check what have changed to not get complains for own customers.
Eg search stopping to work  and now this, i have to do a list of new bug and default behavior for each new release ?

Milbo

Patrick, check the svn. I developed a new feature and any time I stored the customfields it executed the tableupdater. So I uncommented it first to work on the new feature, instead of directly adding the if.
so what you say is, that I did that on purpose? Errors can happen. It is besides the installation problem the only "introduced bug". The rest is so far I see working very well. The search btw is working.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

AH

QuoteHum, is 3.4 a beta or not ?
You appear to be being disingenuous.  I trust that you also post in the Joomla forums in the same manner for every release of theirs that contains a bug or two.

QuoteYou complained for some years about code changes, but each new release we have to check what have changed to not get complains for own customers.

This is a large release with numerous changes across multiple files - from my perspective, I would say that this is a pretty sound release compared to the historic VM1 releases I had to suffer.

One would expect that you have a test/code compare plan in place for your implementations and that your own testing highlights any issues not found in pre-release testing.  This is open source software, users are encouraged to report bugs they find.  Such things that are an issue are managed quickly and efficiently IMHO.

It is a shame that the "bug" you quote is incorrect.  But I guess you had not tested it.

VM team - please keep up the sound work you are doing.  This is a great FREE e-commerce plugin.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

StefanSTS

I am very happy with this release.
I updated many shops without having to do any changes to the templates or any serious problems. Just two sites where I had to install twice.

A lot of people were doing serious bug tracking this time, especially above poster AH was continuously going through the changes and having a great look at usability too.

There was an added comment that was forgotten, and yes, there was some problem with a system plugin in the beginning, but that was fixed quite instantly.

So thanks to Milbo for the great work, and the other devs that were always giving feedback.

My two cent
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Studio 42

Ah, i contributed more then 1500 hours to VM,  so i think i can ask a question to know if Vm 3.4 was fully tested or not.
We conplained, for a time, about Joomla changes in the team too.
I know that the table upated sometime do not do the job and not only in this release. I had to modify Search module settings in some case and this problem, i have report small other bugs in the forum that some get not modiifed since and don't bother you with this all the time.
So, my question is legitimate or not?

AH

QuoteAh, i contributed more then 1500 hours to VM,  so i think i can ask a question to know if Vm 3.4 was fully tested or not.

I am unsure as to why you think you could not ask - of course anyone (regardless of hours contributed) can ask - The term "fully tested" is open to debate and interpretation.

The extent to which the release was fully tested is based on the availability of technical environments and specific Joomla and VM configurations.  As we are all aware, these are myriad - and it is in no way practicable or possible to replicate all of these for testing purposes, as a result, certain aspects may remain "untested" in any one release.
However, the response to any issues post release is swift and should satisfy the vast majority of business users - (Assuming that they have taken the basic industry approach, that is to deploy and test in their own testing systems prior to deploying in live.)

QuoteYou complained for some years about code changes, but each new release we have to check what have changed to not get complains for own customers.

Because you have customers using a third party solution, you incur additional effort in reviewing the changes to understand potential impact on your customers.
They are your customers, you are using third party freely supplied solutions and yet you appear to expect that you should incur no additional impact when code changes - this seems somewhat aspirational.

Regarding the legitimacy of your question, all are legitimate but, I would have anticipated that someone with customers using the software would have made use of the release notes.  In reading such notes, it would be clear that if this were a "Beta release", it would state "this is beta".

http://virtuemart.net/news/490-virtuemart-3-4-prepare-for-the-future

Consequently the answer to your question 
QuoteHum, is 3.4 a beta or not ?

3.4 is Not a beta release.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Studio 42

Ah, the problem here is that vm 3.4.0 is in the Joomla Updates and some users mean in this case that updating do not break the shop.
I know that you have to check and do backup, but some customer apply updates and complain after. I cannot prevent this.
if you read this https://virtuemart.net/news/490-virtuemart-3-4-prepare-for-the-future, you have no warning about template updates, module settings changes and all the problem you can have.
So shop owners mean that all these are only improvements and fixes without potential problems.
When i update Vm or Joomla i wait always 2 weeks minimum to do a list of potential problems and Virtuemart bug report get not added to the news about a release, even 1 month later, so all this bug report should be added to this news that you have not to do your own list of fixes and changes or add forum topic link
with all know problem found after Eg the problem for the currency converter have 4 or 5 topics in this forum and in french Joomla and Vm forums, this should be added in news with a solution in the news list for eg.
But of course i like Virtuemart, else i had not spend so much time to do Vm2 MVC, multilanguage ... With max and Valerie for some years.

AH

Yes I completely agree.

The ability to update directly in Joomla is definitely "challenging".

Customers rarely read update notes and expect nothing to be impacted therefore update straight into live, it seems to be almost "promoted" by Joomla.

There is only this base "warning"

Notice
Before updating ensure that the update is compatible with your Joomla! installation.

Of course, the update IS compatible - It just might need careful consideration for all the extra plugins that are installed and configurations etc etc

Regarding the notes:-
Quoteyou have no warning about template updates, module settings changes and all the problem you can have.

Yes I agree - that there should be some base paragraph that highlights the need for testing and careful consideration of module overrrides/template issues etc.

And possibly a - known - issues update
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

GJC Web Design

QuoteThe ability to update directly in Joomla is definitely "challenging".

Customers rarely read update notes and expect nothing to be impacted therefore update straight into live, it seems to be almost "promoted" by Joomla.

They caught this disease from Wordpress which then had to go one step further..  from memory the default install of WP now pushes its updates without any user intervention!
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation