News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Unable to add or remove product categories

Started by koaconsulting, July 25, 2018, 21:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koaconsulting

Our client has just reported a very strange issue.  If we add or remove a category from a product, everything looks like it works... but when we click the Save button (or even Save and Close) it then seems like the changes did NOT take effect.  The page is reloaded without any of the categories changed.  However if we empty our browser cache and then reload that page the changes DO take effect.

It seems like the solution could be to simply tell the browser to not cache that page...?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

We are using the latest version of Virtuemart (3.2.14) and Joomla (3.8.8).
KOA Consulting is dedicated to providing high quality, professional website design, development, graphic design, Internet marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and a variety of cutting edge web technologies to our ever-growing client-base. Our long list of satisfied clients extends across the globe.

We specialize in working with the Joomla Content Management System and custom integration of Virtuemart as well. 

Please contact us for all of your custom web design and development needs: www.koaconsulting.com

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

koaconsulting

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I don't see any newer versions on the Virtuemart website.  Or did you mean to just wait until the next release comes out?
KOA Consulting is dedicated to providing high quality, professional website design, development, graphic design, Internet marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and a variety of cutting edge web technologies to our ever-growing client-base. Our long list of satisfied clients extends across the globe.

We specialize in working with the Joomla Content Management System and custom integration of Virtuemart as well. 

Please contact us for all of your custom web design and development needs: www.koaconsulting.com

Jörgen

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

koaconsulting

Thanks for the suggestion and link to the upgrade file.  I applied the VM update.  Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue.  We still can't add/edit product categories for any product and get them to display unless we empty the browser cache.  Any other suggestions for a fix?

Studio 42

If you upgraded, the old javascript is perhaps in cache.
Si refresh browser, and test again.
If it's not solved, clear the Joomla cache and test again.

koaconsulting

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately, I have tried the same thing on various browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari), each with the browse cache emptied.  Still no luck.  I've also emptied the Joomla cache several times.  I have verified that the Virtuemart update has run to completion and the "Extensions: Manage" area shows version 3.2.15 (June 14, 2018) as the latest version.

Any other ideas?

FYI: We are using the latest versions: Joomla 3.8.11 and Virtuemart 3.2.15.

hellorain

Hello,

Provide me your site details. I can start work.

Best Regards,
hellorain.
Raincreatives - Virtuemart & Mobile Commerce Experts

koaconsulting

I tried sending you a PM but it was blocked.  Are you offering help to troubleshoot the issue?  I am signing off for the day but can Skype you tomorrow if that works.  Thanks!

Studio 42

Check your browser console, if the dont see an error displayed in the categories list.
This break the render.
You can full disable php error reporting/display, to prevent this case.

koaconsulting

I already had error reporting disabled so that doesn't help.  There is one Javascript error: TypeError: t.fn.tooltip.Constructor is undefined.  I've uploaded this as an attachment so you can see it.

I found one other instance where someone had a similar issue in the VM forums but there was no resolution.  Milbo asked if they were using a custom admin template (we are not).

UPDATE:
I also setup a completely NEW Joomla and Virtuemart installation and the problem still exists!!!  No other 3rd party extensions or templates installed.  Just Joomla 3.8.11 and VM 3.2.15.  I still can't add categories to a product and have the list update UNLESS I empty the browser cache.  No special .htaccess file either.  The only thing I can think of if it's not a VM issue is that perhaps my client's host (HostGator) has a strange setting causing the issue...?

Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help!

Studio 42

Your javascript can be the origin of the problem because Virtuemart load the categories by ajax javascript call.
So if you have any javascript error before, the script is not called, this is is the case for all javascript called affter the error in the dom.

koaconsulting

The problem can't be due to Javascript.  As I just said in my last post:

I also setup a completely NEW Joomla and Virtuemart installation and the problem still exists!!!  No other 3rd party extensions or templates installed.  Just Joomla 3.8.11 and VM 3.2.15.  I still can't add categories to a product and have the list update UNLESS I empty the browser cache.  No special .htaccess file either.  The only thing I can think of if it's not a VM issue is that perhaps my client's host (HostGator) has a strange setting causing the issue...?

Jörgen

Hello
Do your clients site have some caching software installed? These have a tendency to break e-commerce sites.
Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

GJC Web Design

Have u fully investigated the ajax calls that provide the category displays?

administrator/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=product&type=getCategoriesTree&virtuemart_product_id=65&format=json&lang=en

does it render correctly and after saving are the correct cats selected?

e.g.

<option selected=\\\"selected\\\"  value=\"28\">PBC<\/option>

or only after clearing "cache"?

which cache?  joomla's, browser etc?

It must in some way be connected with the move to ajax cats and your host .. ajax can be cached and hard to get the latest .. is Hostgator ( imho one of the bad ones) caching this?
No one else is reporting problems with this
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation