News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Configuring Tax Rates by Shipping Address Country

Started by stargazer1682, July 17, 2018, 16:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargazer1682

I'm running Virtuemart 3.2.14, and have been trying to configuring a store to display different tax rates depending on what country the customer enters into their shipping address form (no user account registration).  What I've tried so far has been creating specific tax rates, one set for domestic, and specifying US as the country to apply it to.  In initial testing I've only tried configuring one other country for now, Canada; creating a second set of rates for Canada, again, setting the country for those rates only to Canada. 
Now here's where I'm not sure if I'm setting things right for application to the products I want the rates applied to.  I've gone into the products I have, set the tax rate to the US rate.  The only way I've figured to apply the alternative Canada rate has been to use the option to "add new price" and apply the different rate, but I honestly don't know if that's the appropriate way to do that, or if that's only for applying different rates to different shopper groups.  I imagine it's not the right way to differentiate the rate being applied by country, because when I've tested it by entering different addresses in the shipping address form, it didn't work.  It would show the second rate when the Canada address was entered, but when the shipping address was changed back to US it wouldn't show anything being applied.

I've read there's supposed to be a way to set a variable tax rate based on shipping address entered, but I haven't found specific documentation to that effect.  How is that supposed to be applied?  Am I even close?

GJC Web Design

While since I've done this but from memory just have the products with default tax selected

then set up the Vat taxes and set the country --

as they choose the country then the appropriate tax is applied.. I think .. as I say.. its been a while
but I don't remember ever setting different prices

might only work for registered shoppers
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation