News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[UK] Not 100% on topic but hoping I could get some tax advice..

Started by JMills, June 20, 2018, 13:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMills

Hi :)

I run a small electronics repair/refurb shop and sell products online. I have only recently learnt of claiming business expenses to reduce income tax and was wondering how it worked? I was wondering if I could claim i.e my hosting server w/ website, inventory database & vmart checkout? How would I go about doing this? I've looked at some sites (see here) but can't find a lot about it. Can someone point me to some good resources?

GJC Web Design

Correct - not really a topic for here..   but generally  -- if you are a registered business then you can offset legit business expenses against income.

U need proper invoices raised against your "business"  -- I have no idea about UK tax forms etc but normally there is a section in your yearly tax return where you list your expenses and this is subtracted from your taxable income
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

Expenses incurred on running a business can be offset against gross profit, and should be fully documented in your business accounts (with receipts etc available). You can get help on this from your accountant or an organsaition such as the Federation for Small Businesses or your local chamber of commerce. In the UK a copy of the business accounts (or a summary prepared by an accountant or auditor) is generally submitted with the tax return. My accountant does all that for me.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

JMills

Quote from: jenkinhill on June 20, 2018, 14:57:19 PM
Expenses incurred on running a business can be offset against gross profit, and should be fully documented in your business accounts (with receipts etc available). You can get help on this from your accountant or an organsaition such as the Federation for Small Businesses or your local chamber of commerce. In the UK a copy of the business accounts (or a summary prepared by an accountant or auditor) is generally submitted with the tax return. My accountant does all that for me.

That's super useful - I'm going to have to think about hiring an accountant ;)

Thanks GJC and jenkinhill! :)