News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Question about prices and currencies

Started by Henrik Holm Nielsen, June 12, 2018, 11:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henrik Holm Nielsen

Hi,

First of all - I know this question has been asked many many times, from crawling though all the posts in the forum with this tonic, but I can't figure out if the situation has changed from earlier, or if the options are still the same - so here goes...

My customer wants his site setup with 4 different currencies, with the default currency being USD. At the same time, he does not want VM to use a exchange rate to calculate the shown prices in EUR, DKK and GBP, but wish to manage prices manually, by  entering 4 different prices - one for each currency - on each product.

It's not about him trying to rip off the customers, by controlling each price in each region/country - but simply a question of him not wanting to display a USD price of $1 and then have the system calculate odd figures and show the price as EUR 0.78, GBP 1.21 and DKK 6.43.

Instead he wants the option to display USD 1.00, EUR 0.75, GBP 1.20 and DKK 6.50 or whatever he wishes to round up or down to.

I am aware, that we can write protect the daily.xml to stop the exchange rate from changing, but as far as I can see, this does not quite solve the problem as entering the price for each currency on a product, is not possible - am I correct in this?

Has anybody found a good way to handle this? Does anybody know a plugin to help with this? Perhaps using custom fields as part of the solution? Or is it a option to pay someone to change the code to be able to handle this, without locking yourself to a specific version of VM, because the coding will be to extensive to be able to upgrade VM at a later time?

Again - I know the topic have come up a lot of times, so I'm just trying to make sure if I have understood the options correctly, or if I have missed something. If I need to have a support membership to get clarification or help solving this, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Cheers,
Henrik Holm Nielsen

PS. As the site for this have not yet been setup, this is not referring to a specific version of VM - but will of course be setup in the newest version available at the time of building the site.
/Zorroson :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Billigt og professionelt design af din hjemmeside | Brug for en billig, flot og professionel hjemmeside?

jjk

In
Quote from: Henrik Holm Nielsen on June 12, 2018, 11:31:58 AM
Instead he wants the option to display USD 1.00, EUR 0.75, GBP 1.20 and DKK 6.50 or whatever he wishes to round up or down to.

In this case I would probably enter 'fixed' values into the 'Exchange rate' field of those currencies.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Milbo

"I am aware, that we can write protect the daily.xml to stop the exchange rate from changing, but as far as I can see, this does not quite solve the problem as entering the price for each currency on a product, is not possible - am I correct in this?"

You can exactly do that. There is a hidden config, which allows that a price is taken by the selected currency!!! http://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/general-concepts/206-hidden-configurations.html
pricesbyCurrency=1
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

loppan

Some more details on how to set this up, once pricesbyCurrency is set to 1 can be found here :

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=137634.msg482049#msg482049

Cheers

Peter

Henrik Holm Nielsen

Quote from: Milbo on June 12, 2018, 20:42:24 PM
"You can exactly do that. There is a hidden config, which allows that a price is taken by the selected currency!!! http://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/general-concepts/206-hidden-configurations.html
pricesbyCurrency=1

This was the missing link, I was looking for....! Thanx Milbo :)

To others in the same situation - please note, that after editing and saving virtuemart.cfg, you have to go into VM Configuration and save the configuration once, for this to take effect!

Only thing I notice now (in my test-install) is that, after placing the item in the basket and going to checkout, the item is not shown when checking out. But this could very well be related to other things, as this is more or less just a standard install, with no other configuration of the shop.

Thanx for your help everyone - much appreciated!

Cheers,
Henrik Holm Nielsen
/Zorroson :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Billigt og professionelt design af din hjemmeside | Brug for en billig, flot og professionel hjemmeside?