News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Multilingual website

Started by fkang, February 17, 2018, 21:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fkang

Hi,

I am currently working on a multilingual eCommerce VM website and it seems like :

• In case the main language is french, I first have to create the product in that language before having it in another language and it is not possible to display that product only in that other language.
  • A same product can't have a different visual per language
  • Native modules doesn't filter by language. So in case I have a single product in english in a specific category, the module will show french versions of products in that same category

Is that correct ?

My technical info:

• Joomla! 3.8.5
  • VM 3.2.12

Studio 42

Quote from: fkang on February 17, 2018, 21:40:38 PM
Hi,

I am currently working on a multilingual eCommerce VM website and it seems like :

• In case the main language is french, I first have to create the product in that language before having it in another language and it is not possible to display that product only in that other language.
  • A same product can't have a different visual per language

Is that correct ?

Not exactly, you can add a language per media file to have different visual.
You can switch language in admin to create product in 1 language only, not directly on edit.
You can use Vm Be pro (batch editor), can be buy and downloaded in my shop,  to remove translation, i think it's not possible in virtuemart

fkang

actually I am thinking that I might been going the wrong way.

Context:

I am making an online bookshop where books can be either in french, english or both.
i first wanted to use the multilingual feature to switch between specific language versions of a books.

But I start to think that it is not such a good idea, and I might just need a custom field to define which version a user want to buy. But that lead to 2 other problems:

• how to deal with when I have (stock) 5 books in french and 3 books in english for instance ?
  • how to show on the fronted in the product list view, the language available for a specific item ?

Studio 42

To switch language in products, you have my module https://shop.st42.fr/fr/produits/multi-langue-pour-virtuemart.htm.
If you have 1 book with 2 language, you have not the same GTIN, so it's better to use 2 products especially if you want that you need right product microdatas per book and language.
So you should do the english shop not same as the french shop.
Translate the description for the French book in French+english and for the English book Translate the description in French+english if needed.
If you want associate 2 books, the simplest way is to add link in the description for eg. from one to other book.