News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Fixed variants to use as child products

Started by bunglehaze, February 05, 2018, 17:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunglehaze

Hi guys, it's been a while using VM as I tried another cart software but wanted to come and see how V3 has come on.

I have a range of products that all have child products with the same price and strength attributes. In my example lets's say I want to add the parent product:

Product A : Child Product 10ml @ £3.99
               : Child Product 30ml @ £13.99

But each of these child products needs to have colour options: Red, Green, Blue, Black, Orange

Is there a faster way to achieve this than setting up every single option as a child product, so Child Product 10ml Red, Child Product 10ml Green, Child Product 10ml Blue etc. I do need to have stock control on the child options, though it may not be used it makes sense to plan for it initially rather than have to re-do this later on.

My hope is that I can setup the parent product, nest the 10ml and 30ml child products with the associated price and find a way to add the colour options without having to individually price each one in order to save time.

Any advice on how to speed up this area of product creation and keep the parent and child system nice and clean would be great.

Jörgen

Looks like a job for multivariant. Two ramifications, volume

10 ml
30 ml
and so on

Colour
Red
Green
Blue
Black
Orange

You add children and set which size and which colour each should have, You get stock handling of course.

Regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Studio 42

HI,
I'm on beta testing my last customfield plugin, this can easy setup multiple variant(you dont have to add each child, it do it for you)
You have only to setup the plugin in the parent product, add the options and confirm the child creation(all in one, or one by one).
You have here a demo with 1000 variants : http://pro.st42.fr/en/multi-variants.html

bunglehaze

Quote from: Jörgen on February 05, 2018, 17:23:25 PM
Looks like a job for multivariant. Two ramifications, volume

10 ml
30 ml
and so on

Colour
Red
Green
Blue
Black
Orange

You add children and set which size and which colour each should have, You get stock handling of course.

Regards

Thanks Jörgen, I had a look at this originally but it still appears to need a child product setting up for each option as well - or am I missing something?

Quote from: Studio 42 on February 05, 2018, 17:34:32 PM
HI,
I'm on beta testing my last customfield plugin, this can easy setup multiple variant(you dont have to add each child, it do it for you)
You have only to setup the plugin in the parent product, add the options and confirm the child creation(all in one, or one by one).
You have here a demo with 1000 variants : http://pro.st42.fr/en/multi-variants.html

That looks interesting, does it have stock control on the child products and if so what timeframe are you looking at to get this through beta and out for release?

Studio 42

QuoteThat looks interesting, does it have stock control on the child products and if so what timeframe are you looking at to get this through beta and out for release?
It's beta, because it's not released, so i have to do and test the final package(i was bussy this week), so i can do it next days, if you need it
The plugin have stock control and price settings per child (and direct edit + preview link+ popup to quick edit short desc, gtin, sku, published, ...) .
The child limit is the size of parameters, estimate from 1500 to 2000 childs. Vm core max childs limit is 80 by default(because it get all from model and it's slow)

Jörgen

QuoteThanks Jörgen, I had a look at this originally but it still appears to need a child product setting up for each option as well - or am I missing something?

???

Each child inherits the ramifications, add child, set colour and size, done.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

bunglehaze

Quote from: Studio 42 on February 05, 2018, 18:19:09 PM
QuoteThat looks interesting, does it have stock control on the child products and if so what timeframe are you looking at to get this through beta and out for release?
It's beta, because it's not released, so i have to do and test the final package(i was bussy this week), so i can do it next days, if you need it
The plugin have stock control and price settings per child (and direct edit + preview link+ popup to quick edit short desc, gtin, sku, published, ...) .
The child limit is the size of parameters, estimate from 1500 to 2000 childs. Vm core max childs limit is 80 by default(because it get all from model and it's slow)

What is the price of the extension please? I am only going through testing the various cart softwares again to see if coming back to VM is going to work better than staying on CS Cart so obviously aren't wanting to spend a lot on the chance I don't use it.

I think the issue with the standard VM child products is more because the backend does not allow simple editing of aliases, names etc so I would still have to enter each child manually to do this which makes it all very long winded when I have 50 different SKU's just for one range.

bunglehaze

Quote from: Jörgen on February 05, 2018, 22:35:26 PM
QuoteThanks Jörgen, I had a look at this originally but it still appears to need a child product setting up for each option as well - or am I missing something?

???

Each child inherits the ramifications, add child, set colour and size, done.

regards

I think I must be going about this totally the wrong way in that case as each time I try to set it up as required it gets ugly.

For instance, I setup the parent, then my ideal path here would be set up the volume as child products to contain the prices for two different user groups (customer and bulk sale)
After this I would like to setup child products of both of those options that contain the colour options so that the price of the parent is used but I have stock control for each option. Doing it this way also looks simpler in the backend because each child contains the name of the parent and the sku identifies the option.

When I set it up in this way though I get two dropdown boxes on the product, one not working and the other with the colour options I setup, it looks messy.

If I do it the other way and setup the ramifications in the original parent product I need to then administer the pricing for each ramification. While it is not the end of the world I am working through carts to see which one will allow me to make this step much simpler as my prices change regularly and being able to edit just 16 prices is preferable.

Studio 42

QuoteI think the issue with the standard VM child products is more because the backend does not allow simple editing of aliases, names etc so I would still have to enter each child manually to do this which makes it all very long winded when I have 50 different SKU's just for one range.
One problem, one solution https://shop.st42.fr/en/products/vm-be-pro-batch-product-edit.htm ;)

bunglehaze

Quote from: Studio 42 on February 06, 2018, 16:31:44 PM
QuoteI think the issue with the standard VM child products is more because the backend does not allow simple editing of aliases, names etc so I would still have to enter each child manually to do this which makes it all very long winded when I have 50 different SKU's just for one range.
One problem, one solution https://shop.st42.fr/en/products/vm-be-pro-batch-product-edit.htm ;)

Does your VM Be Pro extension also list additional prices as I have both default usergroup and a second price for bulk usergroup ? My main need is for a fast way to input the child products but I may also take a look at the be pro extension later on if your beta extension does what I hope it will for the initial setup.

Studio 42

In the list you see 1 price only, but you have an editor. see attached image

balai

Please check also the Stockable Custom Fields
https://breakdesigns.net/extensions/joomla/stockable-custom-fields

The plugin is completely free and offers some advantages over using the multi-variants