combining different products (parents + childs + custom fields multivariants)

Started by amedesign, December 08, 2017, 23:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amedesign

Hi to all,

I have defined several products (parents with custom fields and childs with different prices, variants and multivariants) and want to find a way to combine them. The customer will choose them one by one and finally add them in a sigle click of add to cart button. First I tried to modify the product detail php page but didn't find the way to create more than one override template for this. Finaly I found so now I have two override templates for product details page and chose one of them for different product. Let's say I have some products named product-a, product-b, ... product-x and some parents products named product-1, product-2, ... product-no which have childs but also some custom fields with specific prices. The product childs could be named product-1_1, product-1_2, etc.

Im the product details page of product-x I want to have the possibility to add to this product, the products named product-1 or/and product-2 etc including the variants and multivariants they have, with some dropdown and/or radio selectors. For example if I choose from a drop-down list product named product-1 it will appear a second drop-list with the variants of product-1 and so on. The problem I have that I don't know the variables used in Virtuemart but also the way to call those variables. The structures will be made of if else cases but this a simplest part of it. Can you advice to a solution? Of course, if it is to complicated and there is any third party component which does this I will happy also. I searched for such solutions but didn't see if they could bundle all the variants and multivariants of the already defined.

If it is neccesary to say, Joomla 3.8.2 & Virtuemart 3.2.8. Of course, if any need to explain more that I have wrote I am happy to add more information. Thank you very much for any advice.

amedesign

Hi again,

Because I didn't receive any suggestion/advice I am thinking that my message wasn't so clear. :) To simplify it I give an example.

I have an image defined as a product and want give the option to print it (just print or including frames with different sizes or supports). The frames are already defined as multivariants so the easiest way I am thinking that is to bundle first type products (the images) with the second type of products (prints or frames in different sizes).

Hope the information are more clear now so maybe I will get any advice for solution or a suggest for a third part extensions. Thank you.

Studio 42

Hi,
If you don't need sku, why using variant ?
I know plugin that can do bundle, but this have multiple product in the cart, so in your case it's not the right way todo.
Another problems is that you need to check compatibility, because the frame is not suitable for eg. whit bundels.
I already have do a complex customfield plugin to add the frame, select sizes to send to a printing compagny, they use 1 main product + childs , this is the picture size, the options are set for each product because some frame are not compatible or are not nice for some photos.
Another solution, if the price do not change per size, is to do a plugin "image" to use it as option.
You should explain exactly how you need to calculate all, what you need to render, so you get the right answer.
Greets,
Patrick

amedesign

Thanks Patrick for the answer.

Let's then clarify more. Variants are using because the frames are different sizes, with different prices and also different descriptions. In this moment the frames (child products) can be ordered if you will upload also a graphic file. I want to add also images as product that can be add to existing products (technically speaking). From the customer point of view, now they can order the frames (or just prints) with their own graphic files (which have to upload them) and in the future, anyone will have the possibility to order any prints or frames choosing images from the same site, not their own images.

Frames or just prints are all now products (multivariant child products, even with options) so I can see as a solution just same kind of products for images that could be printed. That's why I see this solution, to bundle two products, one of them a chosen image from site and the second, a "frame" or "just print" product. The price for "image" product is different when is sell as a single product (some customers maybe just want to buy an image) and other price for the case that a customer want also to print it on site. Also, could be the situation when the owner of the image (a photographer of course, who is selling the images on printing online store) could ask for a smaller price if the ordered picture size (printed or not) comparing to a bigger picture size (bigger resolution file). That's why I don't think the solution can be make just as an "option"of a product.

Of course, the easiest way is to add to cart the image (as a normal product) then add to cart another product ("just print" or "frame"products) but it is a bit difficult to manage the order. The customer should write more details that the chosen first image is for product A, the second chosen image is for product B, etc. If it helps, the actual online store with a specific product (just for example) where you can chose the size and/or an option is:

https://vreauprinturi.ro/tablou-rama-de-aluminiu-ultralight-hartie-mata-20x30

Hope that the Romanian language will not be a problem to understand the way the product is defined.

Yes, you are right, there is a need to check the compatibility. Can you indicate me the site with the solution you use for the customfield you were already done. I am sure that I will know if it is proper or not for me. :)

Studio 42

You can see the plugin live here.
https://ongallery.com/en/themes/animal-world/king-penguin-chicks-small-detail
If you change size, you can see that small print have a white frame and not medium or large.
the main image is dynamic generated using the product size and type of frame.
But in your case, i mean that all should be dynamic and no product at all, so you can calculate the end price using internals rules.
Another problem is the format of uploads, eg a photo can have ratio 10/16 or 9/16 or 2/3 ... So the frame price and choices need to get the uploaded image sizes.
The frames specifications can be in a database table for eg. to get the technical information or relation.
I don't mean that using 2 products can be right associate directly(or with many more work).
My main idea is to use product = image list, why not with some filter(or 1 product per image) .
Another product for image upload
For each products options to choose frame types and sizes from list.
On choose the frame type and size, the price get then dynamic calculate using the frame database

amedesign

Basically speaking, this is the same application I want. But I am not sure what the extension does exactly. Confirm please if I understood correctly. Option "preferred presentation"or "preferred size" are custom field options of the main product and the results of selection are read from a database table. Also, the extension refresh and set the images according  to the selection. That means that there is somehow a "hard coding" settings for prices, descriptions and compatibility for a first selection with the second one. There are not made as usual in the product (variants, childs, etc). How is made any changes in prices if I want to make it? Or the description? Do you have some screen captures of admin interface of the extesion?

Unfortunately I need to solve a more complex situation. I have to choose also the support (different kind of papers), number of ordered frames or just prints and a discount related to the number of orders. Different size of the image could have different prices (I mean just the image, because the print will have already a different price depending the size), it's up to the photographers. Also need some additional options made for a specific frame. The solution you presented (if it is as I understood) is not easy scalable nor editable by Admin. I repeat, only if it is as I understood.

Another, let's say classical solution, is to make a product (an image/picture) and to create variants/multivariants add options and prices in the same way as they are already with the actual products. But in this case, there will be duplicated content/work/time for creating products. Because the same products as they already exist (descriptions/prices/options) will be with a specific image. Imagine the actual products (as they are already on my site) have the option: upload file or choose an image. On the first option the customer will upload a personal graphic file and in the second option he will choose a picture/image form database (of course, this database should be easy to sort, to find by some criteria: colours/category, etc). That's why I thought in the first time that a bundled order (in the same "add to cart" action)  could be a easier solution.

Regarding the ratio, one solution is to choose only a size of frame or just print (for example the largest size and the smaller size will be according to the image ratio) or to prepare all the images for the specific ratio of different sizes. As I saw, on the site you gave, this is not solved. For example, for the same image you can choose 91x61cm or 46x30, which means different ratio. But this is less important, the customer could be notify for the final size/ratio depending of chosen image.

So I am still confused which is the easiest way to solve adding the image from an on site data base to a printed product (just prints or complete frames, but including all the options of those products).  ???

Studio 42

For the sample site, i done the plugin the customer needed and wanted. Remember that this get send to a printing company using an API, the curent limits in the sample site is due to the printing company, and is complex to manage because each variant have different parameters(from 6 to 10), id, key ...
If you need and can modify any parameters and option, it's possible, you need only to know yourself the final result and what to verify( picture size limits, frame limits, paper, mounth, glass, quality ...) and the technical limit your side to make and send the final product.

amedesign

I am sure that the plugin is what your customer wanted. I was just saying that I don't know if this solution is proper for my needs. In my case we don't need to send the orders using an API, because the site is own by a printing company so the usual information receive by an order is enough exactly what customer wants.

Is it possible to test your plugin in admin mode to see how the administration works and to see if I can add the information I need for each product (image)? Your plugin does also the two preview modes (room view and art view) or this is another extension?

Studio 42

This plugin do not work for you.
I have understand (or i think) your needs, it was only a sample
See the attached image.

amedesign

Ok, so no chance to create a plugin for my needs, based on this plugin, isn't it? I think to create it from scratch, just for my needs, could be very expensive...

Anyway, if there are more ideas for this subject, please feel free to comment.

ClaireHenderson

On choose the frame type and size, the price get then dynamic calculate using the frame database

amedesign

Quote from: ClaireHenderson on November 27, 2018, 08:22:21 AM

Thanks for your answer but can you be more specific in HOW can be this implemented? I know very well WHAT I want to do (or the extension) but I had a problem  HOW to implement it. :)

Studio 42

@amedesign.
The problem is not how to implement it, but this need a big plugin and many work.
You try to use multiple variant but want something dynamic. So it's not really possible.
I see that 1 year after, have you not solve it ?
If you have all specifications, you can contact me using private messaging, so i can check the time i need to do it.
Regards

StefanSTS

Why not forget the products "frame"? Use a simple custom field "string", call it Frame, and add some sizes in the products. It works in 10 minutes.

Why complicated if there is an easy solution that get's the work done in the same way? Just without stock control.

At least it will not take another year. Could be ready tonight.

Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

amedesign

Quote from: Studio 42 on November 27, 2018, 14:01:59 PM
@amedesign.
The problem is not how to implement it, but this need a big plugin and many work.
You try to use multiple variant but want something dynamic. So it's not really possible.
I see that 1 year after, have you not solve it ?
If you have all specifications, you can contact me using private messaging, so i can check the time i need to do it.

Thank you Studio 42. The problem was solved creating new products with multivariants, combining all the possibilities in a single product. I just was curious how was the idea of ClaireHenderson.

Quote from: StefanSTS on November 28, 2018, 15:18:34 PM
Why not forget the products "frame"? Use a simple custom field "string", call it Frame, and add some sizes in the products. It works in 10 minutes.
Why complicated if there is an easy solution that get's the work done in the same way? Just without stock control.
At least it will not take another year. Could be ready tonight.
Stefan

I am not sure that I was very clear in my demand but I am sure that this is not a solution. At least for me. The other products can not be so easy forgotten because there are SEO links, history, just if we are talking about a small part of the issue. Each variant should be a specific product, with specific description, SEO link, prices, images, properties, upload printing file form for each product, etc, etc.

Anyway I solved this with multivariants, creating new products, despite some of them are the same as some olders product, but with a specific image for print.

I realised that is a complex problem, at least because no one answer at :) not so easy to implement so I use a "traditional" way.

Anyway, thank you all for trying to help. Sorry for the late answer, I discovered just now the e-mails from this thread into the spam folder.