News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Inventory purchase price

Started by hetclub, November 17, 2017, 23:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hetclub

We cannot seem to find a place to put in the purchase price of our inventory.  We want to be abler to report on value of inventory, but where can enter that for each product.  The current price fields all related to the customer facing price or adjustments to them.

AH

I had to add a new field to the database to facilitate this.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

hetclub

Would you be willing to share how you did this?  I would assume you added the field to the product entry and also were able to incorporate into reporting.  I am a little amazed that Virtuemart doesn't natively have this field.  This is critical for us to support year end tax reporting for inventory value.  Is it something that could be submitted to Virtuemart as core functionality?  We have some technical capability but your experience would help us greatly.

AH

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=137418.msg484758#msg484758

It does not create any reporting functionality and don't go adding to front end product views :)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

loppan

I did exactly this, as suggested by AH earlier :) :

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=122703.msg428028#msg428028

The only caveat is that after each update I have to edit 1 file (I think there's only one file that can't be overriden), but this is not a big problem, just take notes and remember where you keep them :).

For tax purposes I export the inventory to a .csv (I'm using CSV Improved and I really recommend it, although there are other options out there), I paste everything into a template I've made in Excel (that basically just multiplies the supplier cost column with the quantity column and sums every row) and voila - that's my current stock value :). A splendid solution, in my opinion :)

Best

Peter

AH

"For tax purposes I export the inventory to a .csv (I'm using CSV Improved and I really recommend it, although there are other options out there), I paste everything into a template I've made in Excel (that basically just multiplies the supplier cost column with the quantity column and sums every row) and voila - that's my current stock value :). A splendid solution, in my opinion :)"

Can you access the database directly ?

Because you can do this sooo much easier if you can :)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

loppan

Quote from: AH on November 25, 2017, 16:15:04 PM
Can you access the database directly ?

Because you can do this sooo much easier if you can :)

Yes, I know :). I'm dreaming of writing a php script that sums all this up for me, but still haven't gotten around to do it. I'm not that skilled yet and it would take me time to get it right. Going the .csv route takes me... probably less than 2 minutes. So I'm fine with that for now. But... if you wanna collaborate on this... I'd be more than up for it :)

Best

Peter

EDIT : Even easier - perhaps, all I'd need is a SQL query... I'm pretty lost in SQL but I know some guys... hehe. Will look into it and report back any findings I've made :)

AH

You can connect to databases directly from Excel

Here is a post from some years ago that may help you further

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=125176.msg428412#msg428412

I run many reports etc directly from excel using odbc connectors and sql within excel

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0