News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to hide tags ?

Started by Jeroentje, November 14, 2017, 22:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeroentje

Hello,

Can someone please help me ?

I want to improve my SEO so I aplied Meta Tags to my images of the articles / products I want to sell.
For example I use the Meta Tags 'nice red shoes', 'beautifull shoes' etc

When I look in the front end of my shop these meta tags are showing..
I want to hide them. How can I do this ?

I hope someone can help me...

Best regards,

Jeroen

Joomla: 3.7.4
VM: 3.2.2

Jörgen

Check Your insecure Joomla version, should update to 3.8.2.

Screenshot ? Both frontend and backend, please.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

GJC Web Design

assume your tags are rendered in your template.. find them in the code and remove that section
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Kuubs

Quote from: Jeroentje on November 14, 2017, 22:43:28 PM
Hello,

Can someone please help me ?

I want to improve my SEO so I aplied Meta Tags to my images of the articles / products I want to sell.
For example I use the Meta Tags 'nice red shoes', 'beautifull shoes' etc

When I look in the front end of my shop these meta tags are showing..
I want to hide them. How can I do this ?

I hope someone can help me...

Best regards,

Jeroen

Joomla: 3.7.4
VM: 3.2.2

Hi Jeroen,

Where did you added these tags?

You can remove these tags if you enter your template and remove the tags section.

Jeroentje

Hello guys,

Thank you so much for your replies on the VM-tags showing om my pictures. 
I have been on a holliday so that's why I could not repond sooner on your relies...sorry.

@ Jörgen: I updated to Joomla to 3.8.2; thanks for the tip ! I attached a picture of the frontend (screenshot 1) and a picture of the backend (screenshot 2). In the picture ''screenshot 2'' the meta tags are marked with a yellow color.

@ GJC Web Design: I use a Helix Shaper 3 template. I can not find the code for the tags, but I am not a programmer. Were should I look for the code ? Can you please help me a bit further ?

@ Huubs: I added them in VM - Article pictures - Article Information - Meta Tags (see attached picture ''screenshot 2'').

I want to keep the tags because I think this will help my SEO but I don't want them to show on my pictures like ''screenshot 1''.

I hope you can help me a bit further !

Best Regards,

Jeroen

jenkinhill

From the images it looks like you are entering the image alt text, but your Helix template is incorrectly showing that text as the image subtitle. Test with Protostar and the text should not be displayed. Ideally the template override should be updated with the correct code.

Check the page code, maybe with Firebug, to see if the template uses the defaut VM class for the subtitle (vm-img-desc)  then you could use a css override to hide the text:

.vm-img-desc  { display:none; }
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Jörgen

Hello

If You don´t put anything in Getoonde Beschriving you will get the image alt text as image description. Enter something in Getoonde Beschriving and see what happens.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Jeroentje

Hello,

@ Jörgen: when I enter something in the Getoonde Beschrijving (see screenshot 3 where I enter 'Pepe Milan April Flower Scarparti'), this text will show on my tumbnail images (see screenshot 4). But when I enlarge this tumbnail (zoom) only the meta tags are visible (see screenshot 5).

@ Kelvyn: thanks for your advise. It is a bit complicated for me (I never used css override). I'll try to figure it out. I'll let you know if it works.

best regards,
Jeroen

Jeroentje

Hello again,

I figured something out.

I am from Holland so I use a Dutch version of VM. The field is called ''meta trefwoorden'' which can be translated to Meta Tags, so I think this is for SEO.
I looked at an English version and there the field is called ''Image Alt-Text". It looks like this field has noting to do with SEO? Am I correct ? Otherwise I will leave this field emply..problem solved.

Best regards,

Jeroen

jenkinhill

The image alt-text is thought by some to be useful for SEO, but its official use is to provide an accessible alternative description of an image for those with impared vision who may use site readers or text magnifiers which do not show the actual image. In my experience it has no real SEO value.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Jörgen

Hello again

Funny, if I place text in image alt this shows as image captions, if I also fill in the image description field it takes precedence before the image alt for the main image. When I click on the thumbnail I only get the image alt text. This happens also  happens with the beez template. I have always filled in the image alt field for all my images the image description is left blank. Have never thought so much about this.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

jenkinhill

I have never noticed this, but using the VMBeez template and latest VM test version (3.2.7.9684 but probably the same in earlier versions), if I fill in the image subtitle and alt text, then the subtitle appears under the thumb image but on the fancybox popup image the alt text shows in the .fancybox-title-inside div. If I enter only the alt text then nothing shows under the thumb image but the alt text still shows on the popup. I have no idea if it was meant to be this way.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Jörgen

Neither Do I, a bit odd perhaps. But as said, I have used the image alt description as image captions since years and have never reflected more over this.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x