News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Customs fields and cart not displaying correctly. VM3.2.4

Started by R1ch, October 12, 2017, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1ch

System:
Joomla 3.8.1
VM 3.2.4
PHP 7.1.8-2
DB mySQL 5.7.18
Template Joomshaper iStore II

Hi,

I am having issues getting the custom fields to display correctly on a product page, such as radio lists will just display the text with no radio buttons but as a drop down list they display ok. The editor field does not bring up any input field either. When I am able to select a custom field option from a string it is still not being added to the cart/order.

When using a drop down list the selection is not being added to the cart, the custom fields are set to YES for cart attribute and cart input and they are published.

What I require on each product page is product image, product information and price which is ok, but then the customer needs to select a material option and then add their text to be used on the order, I would also like the material and text to be required before adding to cart. There is no requirement for stock control as each product is custom made to order.

I have spent the past 3 days looking through the forum and the internet and have tried a few suggestions to no avail, but as I believe I am using the most up to date release I need assistance please.

Thanks in advance.

jenkinhill

This is likely to be template related. Test using Protostar to see if the layout now works and customs are added to the cart.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

R1ch

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried with Beez3 and protostar, and the only changes are the drop down list no longer works in either but the only option which is the first option from the list does get added to the cart.

R1ch

Here is the site url, I have enabled debugging, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with the results.

http://www.sortstuff.co.uk/index.php

Studio 42

R1ch

Quote from: Studio 42 on October 13, 2017, 12:09:02 PM
See http://www.sortstuff.co.uk/occasions/cart.html?template=protostar all customfields are show.
Your template is obsolete

Thank you for your reply, I have experimented with a few templates now and yes it does seem that the original template was the issue with displaying the custom field in the cart, I checked the admin order and the custom field is getting added to the order which is fine, so its just that the customer had no verification their option was added.
However with all the templates I have tried I am still not getting the custom fields to work correctly on the product page, apart from the material type which seems to work on most templates using a drop down list only, I still can't get the editor for a text input field to work, I am wondering if this is an issue with my Joomla and VM versions?

Studio 42

The way Vm render the customfields in cart have changed, so if the template is not up to date, the customfields are not rendered.

R1ch

Quote from: Studio 42 on October 13, 2017, 14:41:49 PM
The way Vm render the customfields in cart have changed, so if the template is not up to date, the customfields are not rendered.

I see thank you, does this also apply for custom fields rendered in the product page too then?

Studio 42

If you have a really old template, this do not use virtuemart sublayouts, so yes, the template can have problem too, if it's old.
But for Text input, this depend how you have set it too(As cart atributes ...).

R1ch

Quote from: Studio 42 on October 13, 2017, 16:33:35 PM
If you have a really old template, this do not use virtuemart sublayouts, so yes, the template can have problem too, if it's old.
But for Text input, this depend how you have set it too(As cart atributes ...).

They are supplying a Quickstart package with that template bundled with VM 3.2.2 I have requested support from the template creator too.
I will double check the cart attributes for the text input again. Thank you.

jenkinhill

Quickstart packages can cause so many problems later in site development, far better to build a fresh Joomla/VM site, get it working in Protostar and then install your commercial template.  By all means use the quickstart as a reference for settings, but not as the base for a new store.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

R1ch

Quote from: jenkinhill on October 13, 2017, 17:56:18 PM
Quickstart packages can cause so many problems later in site development, far better to build a fresh Joomla/VM site, get it working in Protostar and then install your commercial template.  By all means use the quickstart as a reference for settings, but not as the base for a new store.

Great advice, I initially attempted to use the Quickstart but I think due to a timeout situation the installer wouldn't run, so I did end up installing the latest Joomla and then VM from source and then just added the template after. In future I will be sure to have it working in Protostar before any templates are added. Thanks.