News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

A 100.000 product webstore

Started by TheoKondak, October 04, 2017, 11:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheoKondak

Hello, Dear Community,

I am new to Joomla and Virtue Mart, and I have some questions, that might have been answered before, but please show some empathy here!

So I am into a project that I have to add some thousands of products for a company. The products are separated into 10-15 categories, and the main distinction is the size 1x1, 1x2, 1x3... 1x100 all the way up to 100x100. I am not sure why my supervisors chose this way to proceed, but I know that there is some third party custom HTML5 software behind. So what has to be done is just me create all these products with images, Product Name, Price + some custom String Field.

I am looking for a way to batch create these products. Is there any easy way to do that? I've found https://csvimproved.com/support/import/1120-product-import-with-custom-fields this plugin that seems to be doing exactly what I need. Is this the case?

Thanks

jenkinhill

I have always recommended CSVI to manage large stores.  Sounds like you are just starting on a steepish learning curve.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

TheoKondak

Thanks for the reply. I will talk with my supervisor and suggest him CSVI to begin with. Hope that it will solve our problem.

Studio 42

Not a good idea, only do it if you need to have stock per each products.
You should use variants or a plugin to restrict product to main one you dont need 100000 products if all are derived from 100.

Note that my tool Vm Be pro can import too and batch process many fields if needed.

You must know that using 100 product with variant is certainly faster and easier to manage that 100000 so you can use a 10 X slower server for same task.

TheoKondak

Thanks Studio42 for your recommendation. I agree with you on product variations, but this is not up to me. I am not sure why my team picked up the 1 dimension per product solution instead of product variations, but i think that they know what they are doing, and they must have their reasons. I will have a look to your plugin to see if it can help me.

AH

Quotebut i think that they know what they are doing

I would find out what they require as a business before accepting their technical requirement/solution.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Studio 42

Problem with many of my customer is tht they don't know what they do.
So i try to get the specifications for a project and explain the best way to do it.
They have most time no experience with  Webshops and simply try to replicate the real live, but this is wrong.

You have another problem with this solution, you get blacklisted by Google if this is a public shop because all product have similar content.

Jörgen

@studio42

I do not agree that google blacklists the shop. If i sell step down rings of different sizes each of them will have their own stock and sku. If the products really are stockable items then making them into child products should not give naf ranking.
I can not imagine that google doesn't allow for this kind of shop.
If the products are cut into size, then it would be more of some kind of quantity sale not discrete products.
Real products with real sku need stock and should be treated as this. Maybe as generic child products.
Regards
Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Studio 42

Quote from: Studio 42 on October 06, 2017, 20:03:36 PM
because all product have similar content.
Of course, if you do another description and have more then 50% changes on each product, you get not blacklisted.
But if you have 100000 products, i think that it's a very long task to do the 100000 description and most time this is not done  right.
If you have 10 products with similar content you have not so many chance to get blacklisted.

Jörgen

Then we are on the same page

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

GJC Web Design

QuoteProblem with many of my customer is tht they don't know what they do.

I think we have the same customers..    ;)
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation