Error message: Merchant country unsupported. using PayPal Pro.

Started by mgordon, September 19, 2017, 15:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgordon

I've got VirtueMart 3.2.4 and Joomla! 3.7.5 I've set up Paypal Pro payment option to accept credit cards, and a customer just attempted to pay using VISA. His payment was blocked and when I checked his order he had the following log for his payment attempt (I removed the last four digits for his credit card):

Credit Card
Credit Card Type: Visa
Credit Card Number: **** **** **** ****
CVV: ****
Expiration Date: 12/2020
Total   5.50000 USD
Date   2017-09-12 10:01:35
Error Message   Merchant country unsupported.
Error Message   The merchant country is not supported.
Method   DoDirectPayment
Acknowledgement   Failure
Correlation ID   9ff17295c2fe2

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

mgordon

I took this up here first because the PayPal plugin is not made by PayPal. I get the same issue weither the customer is in the same country as my PayPal account is registered in or not. If the payment solution was only for the US it wouldn't be offered to paypal customers in Sweden, and there is nothing in the settings for the API that locks the payments to a certain country.

I've sent a message to PayPal's support. I'll see what they say. If anyone has had a similar issue before it would be nice to hear their solution weither it was the payment module's fault, language setup for the website/virtue mart's fault or PayPal's.

I suspect that it has to do with the setup of the payment module, or setup of the paypal's API that's the issue.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mgordon

I suspected something like that, but then why do they offer it to all business customers world wide ?

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mgordon

Asked PayPal, but not got an answer yet. I did however check PayPal's API requirements, and it seems that the creators of 3'rd party extensions have to add country codes to their solutions for them to work in various countries. So my question is if the developers of the PayPal pro extension have only set up the plugin for UK and US, or the entire world (Like they should), or if this a different API service from Paypal that the programmers behind the PayPal pro plugin haven't used.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/integration/direct/rest/country-codes/#direct-credit-card-payments