News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Questions about how can I have a different VAT per country?

Started by Jose M., August 01, 2017, 19:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose M.

Hello,
How can I have a different VAT per country?
I have now defined a generic rule to 21% for all countries and another specific rule for Spain and two provinces.
I have a registered user that belongs to one of these provinces but does not only apply its rule, also applies the generic one.

How can I set the rules to get only one of them?

Thanks
Jose M.

Joomla 3.7.4
VM 3.2.3.9614

jjk

I think in your case it is pretty simple. Assign your 21% VAT rule to all 27 EU countries, because you have to apply it also for orders from any EU country and delete or unpublish your 0% VAT rule. So when your customer selects Canary Islands from the country list in the address form or logs into his account, he will see prices without VAT in the product and cart views.

Currently your 21% VAT rule is applied to all countries, because leaving the countries field blank, means it is applied to all. Also I think you should select EURO in your VAT rule instead of Dollars. Otherwise VM might apply a currency exchange rate (I'm not sure if it does for taxes).
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Jose M.

Hello,
Thanks for the answer Yes, I know I have to put Euros, but I am doing tests in local mode and it is not important in what currency.

I seek to have 21% VAT in all countries, including Spain and 0% VAT in the two spanish provinces of the Canary Islands.

If in the VAT 21% rule I do not indicate any country, it also applies it to the Canary Islands, but if in this rule I put ALL the countries, then in the backend when selecting "Apply default rules", it is blank and does not show any rules in to apply and the final price is shown without VAT and in the frontend, it does not display the prices correctly if you have not logged in.

I have this scenario:

21% TAX
States: ALL (empty field)

21% TAX
States: ALL (All selected estates from Spain except Las Palmas and Santa Cruz de Tenerife)

0% TAX
States: Las Palmas ans Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Problems in Backend:
- The rules does not apply to the backend with "Apply default rules"

Problems in Frontend:
- Users who have not logged in: Error, show prices without 21% VAT (not apply rules)
- Users who have logged in and are not from Spain: OK!, show the correct prices 
- Users who have logged in, from Spain and are not from the Canary Islands: Error, show prices without 21% VAT (not apply rules)
- Users who have logged in, from Spain and are from the Canary Islands: OK!, show the correct prices

I think this should be easier to configure, it's a bit confusing.
What are the "default" rules?

Thanks
Jose M.

jjk

You are thinking too complicated  :)

QuoteI seek to have 21% VAT in all countries, including Spain
So you don't want to sell anything to Switzerland or other non EU countries?

There are other (complicated) methods to solve your problem, but really, you just need the single 21% VAT rule with all EU countries selected in the 'countries' field. If you want 'Spain' in the country drop down list, when your customers from Las Palmas and Santa Cruz de Tenerife add their address, I would simply do a Joomla language override for these two language keys/strings:
Change from:
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="Canary Islands"
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="Islas Canarias"
to:
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="Spain, Canary Islands"
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="España, Islas Canarias"

The only case when VM doesn't subtract the tax for non-EU countries is when you override the final price, because this also overrides the assigned rules.
I could send you a link to my own live shop, where VAT is automatically subtracted for customers from the Canary Islands.

Jose M.

Hello,
If thanks, tell me a link to your store.
Just one question, in the product file you have defined "Apply default rules" or did you indicate any rule of VAT?

Thanks
Jose

jjk

Quote from: Jose M. on August 03, 2017, 12:29:14 PM
Just one question, in the product file you have defined "Apply default rules" or did you indicate any rule of VAT?

I assign one of my three VAT tax rules to each product in the field 'Tax Affecting' (would be the 21% VAT rule in your case). Personally I find that looks more logical than using the 'Tax Setup by Category' approach described here: https://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/general-concepts/204-tax-and-calculation-rules-overview.html

Sent the link via Private Message in this forum.

jjk

Quote from: jjk on August 02, 2017, 22:57:10 PM
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="Spain, Canary Islands"
COM_VIRTUEMART_COUNTRY_XCA="España, Islas Canarias"

Forgot to mention that you have to tick 'For Both Locations' to make these overrides work.

Jose M.

Hello,
Thanks, I did it as you explained to me and now everything is right.

Personally I would like more to be able to define different types of IVA by provinces, without having to create a country, but ...

Thanks again and good summer.

Jose M.