Main Menu

Website is growing by 150MB a day has gone from 650MB to over 2GB

Started by billo007, July 20, 2017, 20:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billo007

Virtuemart 3.22
joomla 3.73
PHP 7

The https://northmencollectibles.ca website has about 800 products at the beginning of July website was around 650 MB, today it is over 2GB. System cache was turned off during that period. I can't find anything obvious. Also, there are continues PHP processes running for the user, using a great deal of cpu. Anybody have any ideas what is going on?

jenkinhill

Check the error log files. If this was a new Joomla 3.7 site then error.php in administrator/logs/   and if an updated site from an older version, root/logs/   If logging is turned on these can raidly grow with warnings & notices etc.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

billo007

jenkinhill

I have also heard of Joomla's smart search causing disk space issues. Have you got a Disk Usage utility on cPanel? - that can be useful for tracking large files down.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

billo007

I have finally found what was using so much space. It was in the root folder of the account tmp/analog/ssl/northmencollectibles.ca cache file. Can I delete it safely?

jenkinhill

Big cache! Yes, a cache file can be deleted, but it will soon grow big again if you don't check why it grows so fast. Make sure that you do not have progressive caching turned on in Joomla, that can build large files. I generally use the no caching setting on VM sites as VM magaes its own cache.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK