News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

URL redirect for affiliates help needed

Started by chrisdevelop, July 20, 2017, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisdevelop

Hi All

I am currently running Joomla 3 with virtumart 2.6.14 version.

I have a particular problem that i just cannot work out and need some help to resolve.

I am anaffiliate of a mobile network, and plan to put all the products on my website, displayed on virtumart along with the prices.  So far so good.

The problem becomes when i put in the URL redirect, so that when a customer clicks on the picture or model, it would redirect and bring up the model page on the network for the customer to signup on.

The problem is that each product has its URL, which includes my affiliate ID, but when entered i cannot seem to get it to go to the page, even though its a genuine URL.

Can anyone suggest a URL redirect plugin that will do the job, or can explain why Virtuemarts own system will not accept the URL.

Here is an example of the URL with the Affiliate ID (*** Changed for security)

http://track.three.co.uk/ctv2/ar.aspx?aff_id=***&link_id=fc11755&url=view%2fproduct%2fql_catalog%2fthreecatdevice%2f2454&aidset=1

There is about 1,000 products which will have its own URL tracking link, so any help anyone can give would be truly appreciated

Thanks
Appologiese if i have posted in wrong section.

jenkinhill

That VM version is nearly 3 years old and known to be insecure. There has been a considerable number of changes since then, so URLs like you wish to use may now work.   http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=118683

I have previously used ReDJ  (https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/redj/) to redirect URLs, but I have never used it on a VM site. This extension, though, has not been updated for about 18 months.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Ghost

Unless I'm missing something, product URL isn't used anywhere, it's just a generic field (checked in 3.2.3). But it's loaded in product object so you can display it manually with template overrides.

chrisdevelop

I have upgraded to version 3.2.1 and placed the link on the product information where it says URL bu8t this still has no effect, is this the place to place the link or is there somewhere else i should look

Ghost

Product URL is not used in VM frontend at all! It is only shown on product edit page in administration.

You have to display it manually with template overrides. For example, on product page you can display it like this:
if(!empty($this->product->product_url)) echo $this->product->product_url;

jenkinhill

The product_url can be used to link to data sheets, external reviews etc. It is not intended to be used as a url for the actual product.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum