News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

REMOVE characters limit for custom fields

Started by jankoo, July 06, 2017, 09:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jankoo

hi.
i writing this last year here but i dont get any serious answer. my client needs to have huge description for his products. they are technical products and there are lot of tables, parameters, images, videos, etc.
but we cant have it in one place - description. it will not be user friendly. so we created tabs on fronted. and the content is from custom fields - type editor.

but there is a characters limit and its not enough for what we need. so when we created the shop, we change the characters limit in DB. it was the only solution i found here.
but now we CANT UPDATE because all updates rewrite the change and cut out the content..

WHY there is this limit? PLEASE REMOVE it.

AH

There is a limit on fields within a database.

You have hit the limit - it is unlikely to be removed because one person posts their specific need here.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jenkinhill

A client of mine puts all his technical spec into a pdf datasheet for each product, downloadable from the product page. Then uses a summary description on the product detals. This saves bandwidth and is easier to maintain.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jankoo

Quote from: AH on July 06, 2017, 10:00:11 AM
There is a limit on fields within a database.

You have hit the limit - it is unlikely to be removed because one person posts their specific need here.
in the past there was many others asking for this

jankoo

Quote from: jenkinhill on July 06, 2017, 10:58:16 AM
A client of mine puts all his technical spec into a pdf datasheet for each product, downloadable from the product page. Then uses a summary description on the product detals. This saves bandwidth and is easier to maintain.

this is not solution.. we need to have normal content

jankoo

sry.. but again the same.. no real solution or interest..
whats so specific about this? so why there are custom fields types for? im talking about editor type. if you want there have just a color and size than why these types are for?

and bonus. i try to put all content we are using in products to only the product description field and it was cut as well.. so there is a limit too.
and that content is not as big as it seems.. one table and one a4 of text..

so i really dont understand this.. eshop system without enough size even for description field..

AH

Quotesry.. but again the same.. no real solution or interest..

What are you not understanding? - There are ALWAYS limits to database field sizes regardless of the system.

Unfortunately you have hit the limits.  As far as I can tell you are probably in a tiny minority complaining about the size limits (at the moment).

Thus, from the apparent lack of posts and interest - you will see that the vast majority of users are not affected by your issue. 

On that basis I think you can safely assume that the VM team are not going to change the core just because you have a problem.

"but now we CANT UPDATE because all updates rewrite the change and cut out the content.. "

If you really must have a solution to this, you could create your own plugin to achieve what you need or, have someone to do the work on your behalf.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0