News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Wrong information front end [language issue]

Started by BearWood, June 21, 2017, 15:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BearWood

Hi,
I'm Evi and I've already learned a great deal from everyone on the forum. I'm working with the most recent versions of VM and Joomla.

I now seem to have a problem I can't find any information on.

I just noticed today that when I copy an article in VM (as I always have) and I make all the changes (name/info/price/...) and save it, it seems okay in the backend, but in the frontend only the price and the pictures have changed. All the articles have the name and information of the original "source"...

I suspect this to be related to the recent upgrade in VM, which caused several other issues.

you can see on this page for example all the sheds are called Gloucester and have the same info, prices and pics have changed...
https://www.bearwood.be/index.php/webshop/tuin-dier/tuinhuizen/tuinhuizen?limitstart=0

If anyone could offer me any tips I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance

jenkinhill

So you are using Joomla 3.7.2 and VirtueMart 3.2.3#9579  ?  (that's the latest released version of VM - http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files  com_virtuemart.3.2.3_extract_first.9579.zip ) Works OK for me on a live site but test on a backup of the live site first, as should always be done when updating.

With this version and default VirtueMart templates I just used "Clone product" on the product list to make a copy of an existing product, changed name , price description and image. Then published that product, all new information appeared on backend and the "new" product showed on the front end exactly as I had changed it. So I could not replicate what you have described.

I do use a cache cleaner plugin so that caches are cleared whenever a new product is saved.  I don't usually use "clone" though.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

BearWood

Hi, thanks for your reply
I am using joomla 3.7.2 but vm 3.2.2 so that doesn't seem to be up to date
I'll try updating then? that should do it maybe...

if you don't use clone then how do you quickly replicate products?

regards
evi

jenkinhill

I enter each product individually if there is a small number, for large sites I would use CSVI - but we all have different ways to do things.

I'd certainly recommend a cache cleaner for anyone who makes regular updates. https://www.regularlabs.com/extensions/cachecleaner
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

BearWood

Hi,

so i tried all the updates, which went fine, but the problem persists
a cloned product, though seemingly fine in the backend, shows the name and information of the original 'source' product, although pictures and price are displayed correctly

any other ideas?

:o

BearWood

Cache seems to be disabled so that shouldn't be the problem either, right?

BearWood

Okay, just keeping you up to date in case you suddenly see the problem, it seems to be related to the languages, my shop is multilingual, Dutch and English.
When I throw out the Dutch and leave just the English, the backend is as the frontend, so all the products have the same name as the original.
when i put dutch back, the backend is back to normal, the frontend isn't

so it has sth to do with the language files, but what???

any tips or ideas?

my greatest thanks in advance!

BearWood

In addittion I found that if I set my website language to Dutch (as it was before the latest joomla update) all the names of my categories disappear and the entire VM shop seems broken somehow, so I put it to English now, but it shouldn't be...

hellorain

Hello,

For switching language which module are u using?

Lanugage switcher module have some issue?

Best Regards,
hellorain.
Raincreatives - Virtuemart & Mobile Commerce Experts

BearWood

hi i'm just changing the language in the configuration files of virtuemart

BearWood

SOLVED

Okay so I ended up changing the Joomla settings for both front- and backend to Dutch
In VM I set a multilingual shop with the shop language set to English

--> Now the frontend is completely in Dutch and everything works as it should!!!

Milbo

Quote from: jenkinhill on June 21, 2017, 15:35:11 PM
I do use a cache cleaner plugin so that caches are cleared whenever a new product is saved.  I don't usually use "clone" though.

Vm does that itself. I know I said already a year ago, that vm does it, but there was an error. Vm uses now an own Cache loader which ensures, that we use always the FE cache. And so we can also delete the FE cache from BE (that was the problem before).
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Quote from: BearWood on June 22, 2017, 09:39:16 AM
SOLVED

Okay so I ended up changing the Joomla settings for both front- and backend to Dutch
In VM I set a multilingual shop with the shop language set to English

--> Now the frontend is completely in Dutch and everything works as it should!!!

Sounds like you entered the products always in english and only sometimes you translated them to dutch. When you have a multilanguage store you must always edit and work first with the primary language. Setting the shop language to english, automatically sets english as fallback for dutch. But the sql assumes that the english translation always exists. I tried to write a double fallback, but it takes insane performance.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jenkinhill

Quote from: Milbo on June 22, 2017, 10:22:42 AM
Vm does that itself.

OK, but most of the sites I build and maintain are not eCommerce. So cache cleaner is the first extension installed - and in many cases the only one.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

BearWood

Quote from: Milbo on June 22, 2017, 10:25:32 AM

Sounds like you entered the products always in english and only sometimes you translated them to dutch. When you have a multilanguage store you must always edit and work first with the primary language. Setting the shop language to english, automatically sets english as fallback for dutch. But the sql assumes that the english translation always exists. I tried to write a double fallback, but it takes insane performance.
[/quote]

Hi,
I think I messed up there indeed, after the last joomla update, all my categories disappeared and I then solved this by setting everything to English, and now I started adding products and encountered this problem, but considering the high number of products involved, I'd hate to have to make changes...

Now there isn't really any english information on my site, it's all in Dutch; I just use the english setting to fix this problem...
Is this gonna be okay or am I gonna have future problems? (I don't really understand the whole explanation, sorry about that)

And thank you guys for all the help!