News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

turning VM into Multilanguage, all items disappear

Started by Stefan Korth, June 06, 2017, 21:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan Korth

I use J!3.7.2 and VM 3.2.3

As soon as I activate multilanguage by having more than one language (en & de), since no item is defined as any of the both, all products disappear unless i manually select them in the backend and tie them to one or the other language. I have more than 500 product online, this cannot be the only way to do it?!? I don't need all products translated, as most people use google translator anyway, but I need the checkout to be in the users languages.

I also have Falang installed, which seems not to work with VM at all - I cannot manage the product translations, but I have not yet tried the payed version, as I have no idea if it will be any good, the free version is of no use. May it have caused the issues though? My system language is set to german, should not all products and articles be german by default?

this is the site: www.customdrums.de

aftertaf

sounds like you want to have the best of both worlds....

"don't need all products translated, as most people use google translator anyway"
vs
"need the checkout to be in the users languages".
I think that you need to keep it monolanguage and rely on autotranslate OR switch to multi and set a language version for each article.
Have you tried playing with the fallback languages options, see if any combination helps ?

Stefan Korth

Well, as long as not all articles are translated, what is wrong with having Google translate a site.

So tell me more about the fallback language option...what is it?

Milbo

Quote from: aftertaf on June 06, 2017, 22:04:42 PM
switch to multi and set a language version for each article.
Have you tried playing with the fallback languages options, see if any combination helps ?

You describe it yourself. The system HAS a fallback and therefore you DO NOT need to translate any product! and I really suggest to use http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1083/com_virtuemart.3.2.3_extract_first.9579.zip

Because this version is the first truly complete multilanguage version with fallbacks in any functions and providing any configuration parameters.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member