News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Upgrading to VM 3.2.2 on J.3.6.5

Started by papakota, May 21, 2017, 10:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papakota

Hello!
I've missed a month ago a Joomla upgrade (from 3.6.5 to 3.7.0), so now I'm still running J.3.6.5 I've found this info on VM official site:

" Everybody, regardless of the Joomla or VM 3 version used, should update to the latest VirtueMart version 3.2.2 on Joomla 3.7.0 in order to find and solve any compatibility problems prior to the mandatory Joomla 3.7.1 security release."
https://virtuemart.net/news/latest-news/480-security-release-of-joomla-3-7-be-prepared

So now I'm confused as of what exactly should I do. Can I upgrade VM to ver. 3.2.2 FIRST on Joomal 3.6.5 AND THEN upgdade Joomla itself to ver. 3.7.1 OR I must somehow upgrade Joomla first to ver. 3.7.0, then upgrade VM to ver 3.2.2 and only after that I will be able to safely upgrade Joomla to 3.7.1?

jenkinhill

The official story from Joomla is that the only secure version of Joomla is 3.7.1  You can update Joomla from 3.6.5 to 3.7.1 using the J! updater component (you will not be offered 3.7 as it is certainly insecure).

Joomla 3.7 introduced changes which required modifications within VirtueMart code, which was done for version VM3.2.2  - but VM3.2.2 will also work OK on Joomla 3.6.5.

My advice is make a backup copy of your website and on that copy first update VM to 3.2.2 (as described in http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=123808.0 )  Then update Joomla to 3.7.1. You can then check for any issues that may be present, especially if you have a multi-lingual site.  If all is OK you have the choice of doing those same updates on the live site or replacing the live site with the backup copy. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

papakota

Thanks a lot! I've done as you told me. Everything seems to be working fine.