News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Is it save to update from VM 3.0.18 to VM 3.2.1

Started by Three_d, April 20, 2017, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three_d

Hi,

I use Joomla 3.6.5 and VM 3.0.18
But I haven't updated to VM 3.2.1 yet because I read some stories in this forum that it possible brakes categories.
Is it save to update to VM 3.2.1 or is a next version around the corner?

Jeroen

dimi2013

I guess the obvious answer to this would be to test it locally. That's what I did.

alain1

DON'T DO IT !
this update seem to be a mess, all my websites are non working since this update,
And even a downgrade with an older version don't fix the problems...
Joomla 3.7 , Virtuemart 3.2.1 and PHP 7.0.7

GJC Web Design

@alain1

honestly.. do u consider this valid or even sensible feedback?

Are u going to contribute the problems you found and/or fixes?

I have now completed 30+ J3.7/VM3.2.2 updates - all successfully with some requiring minor config or template changes -- these only on sites that aren't my build.

If you use crappy templates from builders that simply don't care or understand VM but pride themselves on the amount of silly effects and javascript they manage to stuff into one template then u are going to have problems on updates... 
If u use a sensible update process on a cloned test site with a decent hosting that can give u proper feedback, error reporting and debugging then the job is made 100 times easier.
If u use some manky host that just leaves you with a whitescreen and no attempt at meaningful feedback, out of date php etc then vote with your feet.
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

AH

@alain1

Why are any of your websites down - are you still updating live websites without doing any testing on a test version.

Having looked back at your posts - this seems to be a pattern for you - update directly into live keeping your fingers crossed - then moan when there are problems.

The simple answer to the question " Is it safe to update from  VM 3.0.18 to VM 3.2.1"  is

Probably better to go to 3.2.2 - as long as you tested on a backup environment that reflects your live environment first and found no issues with your - Server environment, Joomla templates, Joomla plugins, VM templates and VM overrides.

I have 3.2.2 working well - but that is based on my configurations and store setup - yours may be different

@alain1 - test first BEFORE you touch live.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Three_d

Thanks for your comments.
I've bought the most recent version of the template to prevent issues with the design.
Last week I've succesfully updated to Joomla 3.7.2 and VirtueMart 3.2.2. I only found 1 problem which was easy to solve in the configuration of VirtueMart.