News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Multivariants & Multilingual dropdown

Started by lindapowers, April 13, 2017, 05:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindapowers

Hi

VM 3.2.1 Joomla 3.6.5

In the multivariant  dropdown list at frontend  product names are only shown in default language (They are translated).

If you click in any of them the product appears correctly translated in the page both in category view and detail view but still shows the product name with default language at dropdown list where it never gets translated.

Regards

Milbo

Actually, when you have only one dropdown, you should use the generic child variants, which imho should load also the names correctly. MW does not create the dropdowns on the fly, it uses the values set in the customfield.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

lindapowers

Quote from: Milbo on April 13, 2017, 09:39:25 AM
Actually, when you have only one dropdown, you should use the generic child variants, which imho should load also the names correctly. MW does not create the dropdowns on the fly, it uses the values set in the customfield.

Hi, but we use 2 dropdowns for a concrete product, that is why we used the multivariant.

There is no way to translate those product names in the dropdown list? Im using a ramification which loads the product names directly,

It should use the translated product names on frontend no?

PD: Yes the generic child does load the translated term in the dropdown, the issue only happens with multivariant product names.

Milbo

Imagine you have 20 Products, each with 3 ramifications,... and each main product has 12 variants, then you would load 240 Products already.

MV is very performant, because it does not load all variants to display them. It just load the customfield, so it is not translateable at the moment. The generic child variants load the products, that is the advantage. You can also use a generic child variant for a child of a generic child variant. Maybe that is better for your case. And we have already users, which have more than 100 variants in one MV. Performance overkill, when they want to display 10 products of that type, and all work with correct language fallback/prices and so on. MV is also not really meant for product names, it is mainly there for generic reasons.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

lindapowers

Hi

Thanks I followed your advise and turn it in to childs inside childs which worked fine.

Ill describe what I was trying to do which I believe is a sneaky mixture of both just to let you know the case.

Top parent product: Jam

Using generic childs:

1 dropdown with 2 childs:

-Child 1: Sugar-free jam
-Child 2: Jam with sugar

Inside each of those childs you have more childs (different jam flavours).

Using multivariant:

2 dropdowns in top parent product

First dropdown you can choose between "Sugar-free jam" and "jam with sugar"

Both of these were simply a custom label and not 2 products.

The second dropdown loaded the childs (jam flavours) inside the labels.

----------------------------

Good thing about generic childs is that everything is translatable as you mention.
Only downside I see is that "Sugar-free jam" and "Jam with sugar" have to be products created and not custom labels as in multivariants, but not dramatic either.

With the ajax loading in category view it does not matter really if you have 1 or 2 dropdowns.

Regards