News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Server Root access required?

Started by 11@safetybanners.org, April 08, 2017, 20:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11@safetybanners.org

My developer says I need server root access to properly use VirtueMart. I find that hard to believe. is he correct? I am in the USA.

jenkinhill

You just need access to the public_html or whatever the equivalent is on your server. But with misinformation like that you should now move to a proper host and install Joomla. Then if you wish you can install VirtueMart.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

11@safetybanners.org

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much. I thought as much. I have a Joomla / VitureMart site. Unfortunately, my original developer went out of business so I found a new Joomla/VirtueMart developer and moved to 1&1 hosting. Not me :-), they did it. I have a problem where we cannot save as PDF the order Delivery note and Document forms. some sort of ssl error. The created a work around where they show up in the browser, but the red +'s do not go away when we open them like it used to. They sat they need server root access to fix the problem.

Thank you again for your help and have a GREAT day.

GJC Web Design

I have worked with clients who host with 1&1 and afraid I am not impressed.. typical large don't care host..

Without the exact error not much more can be said -- you NEVER need "root" access to run J/VM.. there might be some settings required at root level but any decent host would know and fix your problem

Cut your losses and move to e.g. Siteground
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

You mentioned "some sort of ssl error. "  Is the site running SSL under SSL with an appropriate security certificate in place? Or maybe your "developer" is talking about setting the VM safe path to a directory below Joomla root. This is advised, but not essential to use the site.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

11@safetybanners.org

I do have an EV SSL installed but I am not sure what you are saying. They just tell me to fix the printing +/- problem they need root access in VM. The also recommend I move to OVH but that will cost me $1,000 for the move. I am not sure it is worth it as I am running fast and fine on 1&1 servers. Do you have any experience with OVH? I do appreciate your help and thank you very much.

jenkinhill

OK so they were not talking about the certificate but server limitation. There wish to access server root sounds like a spurious excuse for not being able to do something.

I have no experience of OVH (they are French) but I use cloud VPS with United Hosting (in UK and USA) for all my sites and am more than happy with speed and flexibility.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

11@safetybanners.org

I'm still getting the hang of this forum thing but I REALLY appreciate your help. I agree. I thought they were J/VM experts but perhaps not so much. My original developer is on his last legs so I had no choice but to change developers and move to a new host. I am happy with the site, and frankly 1&1, I just need a few tweaks in the cart here and there as my customers are all US vs. European. Do you ever do contract advising or programming work? (Even though we left your Empire a few hundred years ago :-)
Thanks. Bob.