News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Categories problems after update to 3.2.0

Started by Geppux, March 27, 2017, 18:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aftertaf

i'm trying with both chrome and FF. - both are affected
And i'll now use CTRL-F5 on ANY change to be sure.
Not enough of a joomla head to see where this comes from, but why wasn't it doing this in any way before the updates to 3.2?
More importantly is there anything I can change in J!/VM cache methods to help?
This will end up driving me loony ;)

EsSa55

Quote from: aftertaf on April 03, 2017, 13:09:49 PM
i'm trying with both chrome and FF. - both are affected
And i'll now use CTRL-F5 on ANY change to be sure.
Not enough of a joomla head to see where this comes from, but why wasn't it doing this in any way before the updates to 3.2?
More importantly is there anything I can change in J!/VM cache methods to help?
This will end up driving me loony ;)

All you describe is the same for me and as I demonstrated on page 1.

1. Multi-language with BE in en-GB and same for FEs mainlanguage;
2. NOT mult-vendor;
3. Checked with 3 browsers: FF, Chrome, MS Edge;
4. This is a new 'feature' of VM3.2.n;
5. I am having to clear all caches: siite/admin/browser very often

VM3.0.18 was fine and I have reverted to that version until a solution is found.

Best

Milbo

EsSa55, it is impossible to find a solution, when people who have the problem do not work on it. Because the whole testing team cannot reproduce it. There are 5 people with this problem, Geppux, aftertaf, finngu, encreplus and you. Mhuebler has a similar problem, but it is a migrated store (not updated).

4. This is a new 'feature' of VM3.2.n;
I do not understand what you want to explain with this.

5. I am having to clear all caches: siite/admin/browser very often
It makes no sense to mix all caches. Cache is not cache. It is like saying any moving vehicle is a car, ignoring ships and airplanes. Vm itself uses program caches and the joomla (file) cache. The used joomla cache of VM is ONLY in the Frontend. Browser caches are a completly different thing. I also think you 3 encounter maybe different problems.
Just for your information. I delete almost never any cache in my store, and I almost never delete my browser cache. Additionally you may have a server cache, creating extra problems.

It could be also simple to solve, when some of you would be able to use the vmdebug. I could maybe also solve it within minutes, when I could check your store. All I need is a superadmin access and an installed extplorer and the permission to enable the vmdebug for administrators (so I can even debug a live store without problems) and a membership.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Geppux

Hi Milbo, I activated vmdebug and I opened a product having this behaviour: when I created it I assigned to this product a category and saved without problems... after I decided to change the category but all the time I re-open the product, automatically the new category is replaced with the original first category, so all the time that I need to make a change of this product like the description or the stock etc... I need, before to save and exiting, to correct categories and insert the correct one. In the enclosed attachments there are the vmdebug messages I have when I open the product and I find the category changed and when I save and exit the product.
I hope this can help you to solve the problem...thank you.
Giuseppe

Geppux

I installed locally a backup of my site and... is not affected by the problem! If I open the same product that change the category in the live site, locally the category remains the correct one... Locally I have php 7, live 5.6.28 if it may help...

aftertaf

my sites that are affected are running on php7, as per my signature...

When you reopen a product : press CTRL + F5 before modifying anything else...does that reload category properly ?

EsSa55

My site, which has the same issue, is running php 5.6.30

Geppux

Yes Aftertaf, pressing ctrl-F5 the categories are reloaded properly.... what is it and why I've no problems locally?

EsSa55

I have 3.2.0 on my Test site and pressing Ctl+F5 does bring the correct categories into focus.

However, Categories seem to be ajax loading and taking an extremely long time to appear.

To have to press Ctl+F5 every time must be a workaround rather than the solution to the problem.

aftertaf

hi guys, dunno yet root cause.
yes, its a workaround, not the fix as such. going to try to work with milbo (or help him to see where it could come from) on my site. stay tuned in case . . .

EsSa55

Geppux

I thought that the ctrl-F5 was a workaround to be made everytime I was opening an old product but it fixs finally the problem for that product... if I re-open it the categories are ok...

Milbo

Try this file, extract to components/com_virtuemart/assets/js
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

EsSa55

Hi

The new file does not work for me.

Also, the current method of category loading seems to be new in 3.2.n

See attached screenshot.

Milbo

Quote from: Milbo on April 03, 2017, 01:22:33 AM
In general there are 3 features which could create problems with the categories.

The categories are loaded by an ajax, so first you should always check the console for js problems. When there is a js problem, then the categories are just not loaded.
The multilanguage fallback can lead to confusion. There users with a multilanguage store with 5 languages and anything works as expected, also with fallbacks.

The new file works for aftertaf. It just disables the browser caching for the ajax and I added the used language to the url. So it should at least work. What do you mean with, it does not work?