News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Categories problems after update to 3.2.0

Started by Geppux, March 27, 2017, 18:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

Quote from: bortolani on March 31, 2017, 18:56:09 PM
As Milbo pointed out it gets confused when you have different combination of languages in FE and BE.
It does not get confused. It can be confusing. But it works completly logical.

When someone has a german and english store and german is the main language, but someone used the sample data with english description, then the english description is written on the german table. So when I see the Backend in german, I see the english texts of the german description.
When I change the backend to english,... and assume there is no english description, then I see the german text, which got entered as english (due the language fallback).

So when I change the language from german to english, with the vm own language dropdown, and enter the english description and store it.... the system loads the whole thing again with the standard language and I see the "english" text again, but not the english text, which I just entered. So it looks like, it did not store it. But when you change then to english, you notice it is the correct text.

So it works correctly!

Quote from: bortolani on March 31, 2017, 18:56:09 PM
I still have not figured out what is the best combination to avoid creating wrong translations (I mean children who inherit a wrong language translation).

In many cases after children creation I have to use a tool like VM Batch Edit to cut&paste correct translations into children descriptions or to remove them.

I really have problems to believe that. Children which inherit the description of the parent in another language? Maybe the fallback, yes.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Btw, it helps also to enable the vmdebug, at least for administrators, so you can see the set language tags, that may help
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Geppux

The Multivendor is NOT activated and absolutely I don't have problems with translations and both categories and products (may be not some old products but surely the products affected by the not saving categories problem) has the mainlanguage.

aftertaf

HI,
I have this issue on live site 3.2.0 and test site 3.2.1.
Using FR & EN and also, was fine on 3.0.18.
I admin in english usually but always been entering data for the FR-fr version of the store by default.
Also, in mono vendor mode.

I can create a new category but can't assign it to a product.
In fact i can't change product categories at all.
All other fields seem modifiable, but categories is like its in read only mode or the update fails in database... ?
What would i need to activate in BE to see this?

Milbo

aftertaf

Hi Milbo,
Permissions in what respect ?
I didn't change anything system-side since before the upgrade.

As I have a backup copy for testing : i've made some changes to multilanguage to see if it helps :

- removed English as one of the languages
- disabled all language content & switch plugins
- unpublished all language switch modules & menus
- changed my BE language to us to be FR-fr

Now when I click 'multilingual status' link in VM BE, i get message that the site is not setup for multilanguage.

Still I have these problems :
- Can't edit already setup categories for any product I have tested so far
- The Product Categories section of the 'products' Backend does not show any categories created since the update to 3.2.x
- I can create a totally new product, and at moment of creation I can assign a category to it. Once I save, if i then remove category or try to change to a different one, the initial category at 1st save is still selected

I can give you access to the BE, or provide a database dump if either can help.
I don't know if i messed up my multilingual configuration, but it seemed setup fine and working in 3.0.18.

EsSa55

Quote from: Milbo on March 31, 2017, 18:40:20 PM
Did you check if multivendor is activated? When it is activated, please check the setting of maximum categories per product.

When you use different languages, ensure that the category/product has always the mainlanguage. Attention, when your store run in the FE for example in spanish, and you see the Backend in english, you will see the spanish text as fallback, when there is no english text.

What does the issue of categories not displaying inside the product but displaying in the product list have to do with multivendor?

Are you saying that a store needs to be multivendor and the categories per product set in order for them to display properly?

What about the category disappearing totally with a successive product edit, not concerning categories?

This is only a v3.2.x issue as v3.0.18 was fine.

Because of this problem, I have reverted to v3.0.18 which seems to defeat the object of v3.2.

When replying, kindly ensure to quote as there seems to be different issues in this thread and it is difficult to always know which one is being responded to.

TIA

finngu

I am having problems too!
Using Virtuemart 3.2.1 - clean installation

The demo products are already assigned to product category
It is not possible to assign a different category to a product!

I can click and see the list - I can mark one, but when saving the product the assigned category is removed!

I actually tried with a clean installation because I had the same problem with a shop that I upgraded to the latest version of Virtuemart - after upgrade all prices disappeared from frontend, and the category problem was there. So to see if it was something from updating from my old shop, I uninstalled Virtuemart, and made a fresh installation

Same problem - categories can not be assigned. I am only using Danish in the shop

what to do?
Maybe I should just use an older version of Virtuemart, and hope the category problem is solved in a later version than 3.2.1
I am convinced there is something wrong with this version regaring categories!!

Thanks
Finn

aftertaf

Quote from: aftertaf on April 02, 2017, 11:46:26 AM
Hi Milbo,
Permissions in what respect ?
I didn't change anything system-side since before the upgrade.

As I have a backup copy for testing : i've made some changes to multilanguage to see if it helps :

- removed English as one of the languages
- disabled all language content & switch plugins
- unpublished all language switch modules & menus
- changed my BE language to us to be FR-fr

Now when I click 'multilingual status' link in VM BE, i get message that the site is not setup for multilanguage.

Still I have these problems :
- Can't edit already setup categories for any product I have tested so far
- The Product Categories section of the 'products' Backend does not show any categories created since the update to 3.2.x
- I can create a totally new product, and at moment of creation I can assign a category to it. Once I save, if i then remove category or try to change to a different one, the initial category at 1st save is still selected

I can give you access to the BE, or provide a database dump if either can help.
I don't know if i messed up my multilingual configuration, but it seemed setup fine and working in 3.0.18.

Edit, its a bit weirder still : I CAN change categories, and save the changes.
If i Save & Close (or Save, then Close after) the changes are persistent.
If i need to reopen the product to change anything else (stock, dexcription, etc, the Product Categories' section is empty. Bsically i need to retype the same categories again for the system to not wipe them when I save the products again.

However it does look like the shop is defaulting to EN-US language, whereas before I was editing (with joomla! in English) the shop/product/category etc details in FR-fr first. This has changed with 3.2

encreplus

Same problem here on multi language site ... in 3.0.18 all was ok ... now cant modify a product categories because does not save the new changes ... But creating new product is ok ...

Not funny at all ... cant add new categories to a product ... the only way i have to delete product and re create with all the new categories ...

Any help please ... using 3.2.0

Milbo

In general there are 3 features which could create problems with the categories.

The categories are loaded by an ajax, so first you should always check the console for js problems. When there is a js problem, then the categories are just not loaded.
The multilanguage fallback can lead to confusion. There users with a multilanguage store with 5 languages and anything works as expected, also with fallbacks.

The default Frontend language is your shop main language. When you enable vmdebug, you can see which languages are used for the different loads. Be aware, you can see your backend in english, but the shop runs in spanish. When you enter then something it should be spanish, even when the whole backend is in english.

The next problem can be only with multivendor activated. In multivendor mode it is possible to set the maximum categories, which a vendor can set per product. So when it is not possible to store more than x categories and run multivendor => check your shop settings, or the vendor of the product.

aftertaf

Hi,
to run it down :
1- Multivendor not activated.
2- Default FE language for J! is French, but i use EN-GB for my admin work.
3- I've disabled EN-GB as a VM language for now
4- I've enabled Joomla! debug console but haven't seen any JS errors. Where do I need to look exactly ?

I've had to up my memory_limit in apache's php.ini from 128M to 1024M or i get Fatal errors.
Chrome still says 'aw snap' when I try to view the Database query portion of the debug console. trying with FF now...

I'm not very experienced with php/joomla/VM but I do work with software development.
Troubleshooting issues & helping devs with debugging is part of my daily job, so I can provide you with more info and get to the bottom of this if you help point me in the right direction.

In the attached images,
1- i create a new product, and add 3 categories
2- I save the new product
3- I remove one category
4- I save & close, only 2 categories are now shown

aftertaf

5- I reopen the same product : 3 categories are shown once more
6- I save and close, without actually making any changes, 3rd category is back.

Hope that can help you to help us.

aftertaf

I've done some more playing around.
If I update a product's categories, it seems that the category is saved, but the navigator cache seems to interfere with the ajax loading of the categories.
When i do this:
1- open a product
2- change its categories
3- save

on reload, i dont see the new category
If i close at this point, in the products list i see the newly added category
If i reopen the product directly, i dont see the new category in the list.
If i save at this point i overwrite the categories and the one I added is effectively removed.
If i close again, and empty my browser cache, then I reload VM BE and open the product again, the category is there.
Did something get broken in the cache/method of caching ?

Milbo

So the question is,

which browser do you use

"Did something get broken in the cache/method of caching ?
Modify message"

I doubt it has anthing todo with a php cache. As you already said, it is very likely a browser cache problem