News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

VM Shoppers vs Joomla Users

Started by geoffr, March 20, 2017, 02:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffr

Hi, I have been asked to do a migration of an old VM1 store to a new VM3.  I am not expert with VM, please forgive me for asking a basic question (I have had a hunt for the answer, but no result, and as time is expensive, I'm hoping someone can answer this for me). 

The old site has only 157 orders, but 965 in the VM1 "User List" and, 965 Joomla users. Many of them appear to be fake signups. 

In the new VM3 are all shoppers also required to be Joomla users?  Or, when importing the data across (using Cart2Cart.com), can I delete the Joomla users, thus leaving only those connected with Orders in the VM user list? -- Will deleting the Joomla users also delete the order records? -- are the Joomla users still connected to the VM shoppers in VM3?

Thanks for your help.
Geoff

jenkinhill

If the site requires registration then the shoppers will be registered Joomla users, so that they can log in next time they want to buy something and their bill/shipping fields are already populated. So you copy across them all - you can always weed out the rogue entries some time later, I find that user management is far easier in J3/VM3 than it ever was in the oldest versions. 

If the site did require registation then you must copy the Jopomla user entries, too.  I prefer never to require registration so that the buying process is as simple as possible for the shopper.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

geoffr

Kelvyn,

Great, thanks the answer.

Regards,
Geoff