News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Order edit backend fields

Started by lindapowers, March 08, 2017, 08:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindapowers

Quote from: AH on March 07, 2017, 11:00:34 AM
QuoteBut always, when you write something in a field, it is not overriden. It is imho a lot better than in vm1.1, but seems that even moderators dont know about.

Check back to old VM1 @milbo - "imho a lot better" - is not the same as user friendly

Select an existing product -
Add 1 or a qty of that product to the order
Change the  net, gross for the line if required and recalculate. 
Store the correct SKU / Product ID  in the order details
Update the order totals to f=reflect the product changes.

However - this has been raised before and we have moved no further with this function (IMHO)

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=124027.msg423904#msg423904
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=131253.msg463599#msg463599

In one of the linked post you mention people that say you should not edit and order due to legal reasons etc and Im definetly one of them but that said I do understand the need of editing and order.

However I'm more worried by the fact that some elements are not editable at all.

- You can't change payment methods.
- You can't change shipment methods.
- You can't edit custom fields.
- You can't edit the tax method.

So even if the calculations get fixed the order still is not editable 100%

For VM1-2 we used in the past Artio Invoices which allowed editing the order completely and even creating new orders from the backend but have no clue if this still would do the job with VM3, back in the day it was really simple.

[url="https://www.lluislaw.com"]https://www.lluislaw.com[/url] -

AH

I moved this post - Lindapowers

So you have a topic to yourself regarding editing shipping etc

Which is still editing an order and something you say you do not agree with  :)

QuoteIn one of the linked post you mention people that say you should not edit and order due to legal reasons etc and Im definetly one of them
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

lindapowers

So im trying to help you and you create a topic for myself?

Bah Quit as moderator pls

AH

I created a topic for you as you decided to talk about a different set of items in order editing which was off the topic for the original post relating to order product lines.

QuoteHowever I'm more worried by the fact that some elements are not editable at all.

- You can't edit custom fields.
- You can't edit the tax method.

So even if the calculations get fixed the order still is not editable 100%

Splitting the topic gives you more of a chance of getting your "worries" answered specifically.

QuoteBah Quit as moderator pls

:'(

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jenkinhill

@lindapowers abuse of forum moderators at any time is unacceptable behaviour.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lindapowers

I have no worries since we don't even use these feature but still see the need you and others have for improving it.

Still I find logical to talk about the general issue that most users will face which IMO is the fact that many of the elements of an order are not editable till this day including the calculation issues yes, cause the calculation itself for editing the order is just a small part in a bigger issue which could solve 5% of problems.

Nothing more to add, you can delete the topic anyway.

nokedli99

In 2018, and all of these problems still exist!

I think its must be a basic feature in all simple ecommerce solution.

jenkinhill

In many countries there are legal rules to be followed when editing orders and replacing invoices. Since the last stable release there has been more work for order/invoice handling done to move towards compliance with French legal requirements.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Robert_ITMan

This seems to be the right topic for me to point out that my clients DO NEED TO EDIT THE ORDERS and since upgrading to VM 3 I have needed to do more unpaid work for them because any changes to the orders need additional editing directly in the database so the taxes and totals are correct. I have spent much time trying to see where the issue is and to make sure there are no settings that will make this work nor does it matter if I check 'calculate' and leave certain fields to be calculated blank nor does it matter if I have the taxes calculated 'per bill' or 'per product' ... so I can confirm this needs to be fixed by VirtueMart as it does not work. Any time we edit an order we need to go into the database and edit the amounts in both #__virtuemart_orders and #__virtuemart_order_calc_rules to get the order totals to show correctly (also every time the order is edited a new blank history is created so I also delete these extra lines in #__virtuemart_order_histories).

Happy to also discuss the legal implications here too - that is also a relevant discussion in this topic too, right? Legally: orders (sales orders) can be changed again and again - invoices can not be changed, once an invoice is issued it can not be edited or changed... adjustments to an invoice need a new transaction to balance the clients account.
WEBSITES @ OURFINGERTIPS
manage > develop > market > repeat

Save a lot of time and money when focused on building a website that works with marketing efforts to get more leads and sales from visitors.

www.ourfingertips.com

AH

QuoteI have spent much time trying to see where the issue is and to make sure there are no settings that will make this work nor does it matter if I check 'calculate' and leave certain fields to be calculated blank nor does it matter if I have the taxes calculated 'per bill' or 'per product' ... so I can confirm this needs to be fixed by VirtueMart as it does not work.

Firstly - you need to provide a use case for anyone to determine what you are doing

Secondly - I use 3.2.15 and order editing "WORKS" depending on what you are trying to do.

Ensure you hit calculate on rows that you change and change one field only - leaving others blank - else it will take the current value in that field

You can change payment charges and shipment charges - but not the methods.

It is up to the business owner to handle legal obligations and requirements IMHO.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Robert_ITMan

AH - thanks for quick reply! Unfair you are using dev version 3.2.15 – current version is 3.2.14 ...are you saying this is now fixed and if so what was fixed, where are the release notes / activity for this?

My 'use case' is as standard as it gets when updating an order item and the calc rules are not updated and the order total is changed to be without taxes. For example 'use case 1' – I have an order with one item and I want to update the product name from 'product 1' to 'Product 1' so I click edit > make the change > click save > notice the total no longer includes the tax. For another example 'use case 2' - I have an order with 2 line items and want to refund one of the items, so I click edit > change the status and the amount of the item to be refunded to $0.00 > click save > notice order subtotal is correct, order tax is not changed, order total does not include tax.
WEBSITES @ OURFINGERTIPS

Save a lot of time and money when focused on building a website that works with marketing efforts to get more leads and sales from visitors.

www.ourfingertips.com

AH

Quoteif so what was fixed

For your use cases - For me - ensure the calculate checkbox is ticked if you change anything

Quote'use case 1' – I have an order with one item and I want to update the product name from 'product 1' to 'Product 1' so I click edit > make the change > click save > notice the total no longer includes the tax.
In 3.2.15 - ensure the checkbox is ticked for the item and the total ( I do this regardless of what change I perform!)

Quote'use case 2' - I have an order with 2 line items and want to refund one of the items, so I click edit > change the status and the amount of the item to be refunded to $0.00 > click save > notice order subtotal is correct, order tax is not changed, order total does not include tax.

In 3.2.15 - ensure the checkbox is ticked for the item and the total and set 0 for the product price - clear the remaining fields for that order line

In fact I have done an override to ensure that every item checkbox is always ticked just in case

When I edit a line I ensure that if it is a value - I just use the product price field - and clear out the rest - you can also use the product price with tax and clear out the rest -   The calculate checkbox is key for such adjustment

The totals are calculated when the Total checkbox is set

Unsetting the checkboxes - is telling VM that the entries shown are what you want - it does not then try and calculate or do anything sensible with them

This is all tested in 3.2.15.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

AH

Forgot to mention

Also other use case I have used/tested -

deleting a line
adding a line
changing shipping price to value and to 0 (happens a lot!!!)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Robert_ITMan

AH - again thank you for replying so quickly and confirming this should work and how the calculate checkbox is supposed to work!

Can you provide your override php file(s) and/or code and/or some info as to what you fixed.

Looks to me like editing order is not updating the table data correctly no matter what I try.

Sorry to report it does not work for me and I can now confirm the issue is the same for me in VM 3.2.12 and 3.2.14 and 3.2.15(9877)

Same example 'use case 1' showing the totals, maybe this will help:

BEFORE - order totals are correct as received / unedited:
SubTotal:   $175.00              $0.00    $0.00    $175.00
TAX (13%)       $22.75       $22.75
Shipment Fee:    $0.00              $0.00         $0.00
Payment Fee:    $0.00              $0.00         $0.00
TAX (13%)       $22.75    
Total:                   $22.75    $0.00    $197.75

AFTER - I have an order with one item and I want to update the product name from 'product 1' to 'Product 1' so I click edit > make the change > click save > notice the total no longer includes the tax.
> I then try again and again and again > edit > delete all tax fields or all but one (tried each) > select calculate > save >  notice the total no longer includes the tax:
SubTotal:   $175.00              $0.00    $0.00    $175.00
TAX (13%)       $22.75       $22.75
TAX (13%)       $22.75    
Total:                   $0.00    $0.00    $175.00

> I then try again > edit > enter tax in last line > un-select calculate > save > notice no tax in total and tax shows correctly:
SubTotal:    $175.00              $0.00    $0.00    $175.00
TAX (13%)      $22.75       $22.75
TAX (13%)      $22.75    
Total:                   $22.75    $0.00    $175.00

Same issue no matter my settings in the Taxes & Calculation Rules, tried changing Ordering (0, 1, 10) tried changing Type of Arithmetic Operation (Tax per program, Tax per Bill).

Same issue no matter if any related VM and VirtueMart plugins are disabled.

WEBSITES @ OURFINGERTIPS

www.ourfingertips.com

AH

I cannot provide overrides

Order editing was updated in VM 3.2.15 therefore I doubt that it work for you in your current version.

One caveat to all of this is that I tested 3.2.15 using product VAT tax.

I can only suggest that you setup a test environment on your current version - then update that to 3.2.15 and test your use cases.  That is what I had to do.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0