News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Enshort product url

Started by ereallstaff, February 14, 2017, 15:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ereallstaff

Hello we are on virtuemart 2 and joomla 2.5 ( still ? yes . Too many problems to think about a migration soon )

I want to know if there is any standard setting to enshort the url of product like this:

www.modacalcio.it/_lang_/_product_slug.html

i have many things ( like "virtuemart" , "shop" , various category name )  in the middle I really don't need

thank you
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ì
Try out our new joomla background rotator ( for joomla 1.x or 2.x), for only 14,99 eur @ innovailweb.it

jjk

In latest VM 3.0.19.x versions you would have an option in VM configuration to shorten the urls by omitting the categories. But of course that would require an update.  ;)
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

ereallstaff

Thanks . is there any simple api access or webservice for VM 3 in Joomla 3?
Try out our new joomla background rotator ( for joomla 1.x or 2.x), for only 14,99 eur @ innovailweb.it

jjk

ereallstaff

the first maybe yes, the second is only to get info ( I need to push )

Unfortunately the real problem, is that virtuemart has many limits , sometimes seems really not built for ecommerce, cache problem over all  . Then also problem with joomla, and you're on

jjk

Quote from: ereallstaff on February 16, 2017, 17:58:46 PM
Unfortunately the real problem, is that virtuemart has many limits , sometimes seems really not built for ecommerce, cache problem over all  . Then also problem with joomla, and you're on

It is much more flexible and also scales better than most other shop systems if your shop grows. Your shop is not big and if you have problems, I would suggest to invest some time into an update to the latest versions of Joomla and VirtueMart. That would give you the opportunity to get rid of unnecessary stuff like for example K2 and mootools. Also there are templates with better performance and design.

One source of problems you might encounter probably is that you load two different versions of jquery from Google.

jenkinhill

I agree with jjk. VirtueMart 3 is very different from VM2, which at times was a bag of nails. It is now very powerful,  flexible and bult for purpose. Yes it gets dragged down by the shortcomings of Joomla, but to hold back on updating because of current problems is the wrong thinking.  Last year I updated an old J2.5/VM2 site for a client who told me that he could not believe that VM3 was so capable without all the hacks and extensions that he thought were essential. Suck it and see.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

ereallstaff

You know and can see I use virtuemart since very old version, and I trust you but men there are things I really can't understand.

Latest one is that on my actual modacalcio, many customers says they see always cart empty . The cache is a real big hassle , and I hope there is something better than jotcache ( native ?! ) for newer version .

I will plan to take a look

Studio 42

àereallstaff : i agree with you for some cache problem, because VM always cache categories and if you use an api and this do not clear the categories cache then your shop is not synchronised.
But the user can clear the cache in this case, you have some admin tools to clear it.
So the problem is most time external tools that do not handle this. Using cache is most time better if you know that it's a complex task and if the API code is right, he can clear the cache as VM do on updating something.

Milbo

and Studi42, I found now the reason, why the caches got not cleaned correctly automatically. Joomla gives you per JFactory always the cache of the application. So I just replaced now all "getCache" by an own function (will be moved to vFactory, therefore already set to deprecated), so we use always the frontend cache folder.

the first maybe yes, the second is only to get info ( I need to push )
For pushing you need your own plugin or component. A push API is very likely to be unsecure. With a simple written plugin, using the VM infrastructure it is more safe to write a special task for your special purpose.

The only "problem" is joomla. VM3 is much more scaleable than vm2. It works with a lot different type of caches. I think your main problem with vm2 were external 3rd party caching plugins. Vm3 is mainly cached by itself. It is a lot faster than vm2. It reduces the queries a lot, has a lot more db keys, and caches internal any bigger object (categories, products, manufacturer, vendor, cart, etc). The cart uses with 1 product around 40% less memory, when you have 50 products in the cart, then you notice the difference (vm2 was not able to handle that, almost any server just died). Takes maybe 10% of the memory (with 50 products), than before.

We also use on our demo store an nginx, which works with reverse proxy. It is very fast and there are no errors. We will use with our own store a CDN in future, so we will also solve any problems there.

The new version uses also a lot more ajax, in the FE (category browse, cart) and BE. And almost any entity has a language fallback now.

The future is a system, which works on Drupal, Joomla and WP :-)
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

Max,
about CDN, you should change the problem that you cannot use external URL for image and thumb, this is a very common request (especially for big compagnies) and i think only some line change should give the possibility to use external URLs.
So you can use CDN or any external server for static files.

Milbo

You can use external urls. Imho only per db entry, but when you have a correct entry, it should work
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

Quote from: Milbo on February 23, 2017, 09:16:21 AM
You can use external urls. Imho only per db entry, but when you have a correct entry, it should work
Last time i tried, i had problem with thumbnails and you cannot disable it if you need to mix external link and from server.

ereallstaff

Have checked templare clubs also I didn't see one template working fine. Hope they can improve

About people that can't see product in their cart, any reason?

I am having 1-2 people per day blaming ( that means 2-300 letting website without ask )

And the strange thing , is also that they have same problem from smartphone

Studio 42

For the cart :
Deactivating the cache can solve your issue because if you use page cache this cache all page including cart.
Another solution is to change Joomla cache type. Try to switch from conservative to progressive.
Another problem can be that your server cache the cart page, if you use .htaccess with expiration time for html/txt or by extension .php or external cache system.