News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Category view settings ignored 3.0.18.9

Started by lindapowers, January 14, 2017, 06:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindapowers

Hi

Please check settings in menu item for VM category view cause settings like "show description" "show categories" dont work neither in beez or protostar.

I guess most users have not noticed it cause they are using the deprecated view VM "Frontpage" and cause this settings are new in betas above stable 3.0.18

The settings inside the menu item are not working, neither if you set them to use global settings and have "show store description or categories" enabled.

Actually the browser page title in the menu item doesn't work either. It uses the menu name.

I have tried many posible combinations but can't manage to show those settings.

Regards

VM 3.0.18.9  J!3.6.5

Milbo

Did you disable "Enable legacy layouts" ? I think that is mandatory. Both does not work, else we would not need the config setting.

But at the moment the order is
vm config, category, menu item

the menu item overrides any. But when you manage a multilanguage page it is quite silly to change two (or even three) menu items to change one param. So I think, I need to add the missing params also to the category config.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

lindapowers

I have disable "enable legacy layouts" but enabling it makes no difference.

Can't get the categories, store description etc to show in the vm category menu item.

jjk

Quote from: lindapowers on January 19, 2017, 14:20:26 PM
Can't get the categories, store description etc to show in the vm category menu item.
I have disable "enable legacy layouts" but enabling it makes no difference.

My live shop is already running on 3.0.18.9. In my case the category description shows up. Store description works too if I set it to "Yes" in the menu item's 'VirtueMart category view settings' tab.
I have 'Enable legacy layouts' enabled.
At present I have no idea why it doesn't work in your case. Perhaps some old category template overrides?
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

lindapowers

Got it working thank you, well not working on my template but I found out that it is indeed some old template overrides for the category that need update.

Manage to show store description in beez and protostar strangely even without "enable legacy layouts" enabled.
Can't really tell what failed but basicly I had not set "default" in some settings of the menu item.

Only thing I noticed as mentioned before is written browser page title in the menu item is not used, seems to use the menu item name instead.

Regards

Milbo

Quote from: lindapowers on January 20, 2017, 21:12:38 PM
Manage to show store description in beez and protostar strangely even without "enable legacy layouts" enabled.
of course, the option is for layout overrides. When you use any template without overrides, it works directly.

Only thing I noticed as mentioned before is written browser page title in the menu item is not used, seems to use the menu item name instead.

That is not 100% thoughthrough, yet. There is an option to activate the "storefront", which enables the meta information of the vendor.

But now I shock you, hehe. I just added the whole options for categories itself. It is a lot more handy, when you use different languages.

Category setting override the menu setting. But the handling of custom page title and meta information is not completly ready.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

lindapowers

Quote from: Milbo on January 20, 2017, 21:54:58 PM
of course, the option is for layout overrides. When you use any template without overrides, it works directly.

That is not 100% thoughthrough, yet. There is an option to activate the "storefront", which enables the meta information of the vendor.

But now I shock you, hehe. I just added the whole options for categories itself. It is a lot more handy, when you use different languages.

Category setting override the menu setting. But the handling of custom page title and meta information is not completly ready.

Sounds good and easier to manage,

I just installed the latest beta and all fine but "Top Ten products" were appearing in all the category pages.
Manage to hide tem at menu item for category: /Virtuemart subordinated category settings/show top ten products "NO".

For the description shown there:

"The settings here manage the page display of the categories subordinate to the Category set in the details tab. (Note this applies if no other menu item for these subordinate categories has been set)."

it makes sense since we don't use menu items for concrete categories.

And a side note, child products marked as "featured" appear correctly in the main category page but not in the concrete category where the child product is set.
Maybe that is the expected behaviour but normal products do appear marked as featured too in their own category.

I know I can disable featured products in a concrete category in the same menu item but just to let you know childs only appear in the main VM category page.

Anyway a lot of nice addons in this betas, looking forward for a stable release, last packages seem pretty stable.

Milbo

Quote from: lindapowers on January 23, 2017, 14:17:13 PM
And a side note, child products marked as "featured" appear correctly in the main category page but not in the concrete category where the child product is set.
Maybe that is the expected behaviour but normal products do appear marked as featured too in their own category.

I know I can disable featured products in a concrete category in the same menu item but just to let you know childs only appear in the main VM category page.

Anyway a lot of nice addons in this betas, looking forward for a stable release, last packages seem pretty stable.

Thank you for report. But I do not understand which kind of children you mean. There are two main cases in VM.

- Either you use a unpublished parent as pattern, any child has its own category setting. It is a normal product, which just inherits some properties from the parent.
- Or you use children as variants of a parent, then the child is not a normal product. When it has a category, you can browse the child, when it has no category, it inherits the category of the parent, but only for calculation, access and similar.

The difference is easy to understand when you think about the sql. A product with category is browseable, because the sql does something like 'Where productCategoryId= "id of browsed category" '.

So,.. .after writing all that. I think I understand better.
Quote from: lindapowers on January 23, 2017, 14:17:13 PM
They appear on the category view with categoryId=0, because this view does not filter for categories and children have no category set. The children should not appear there. When you want that, give the children a category

lindapowers

Is the second option you comment,

Children as variants of parent with no category assigned so I guess it makes sense.

Is not dramatic since we can always mark as featured the parent.

Milbo

lindapowers

Quote from: Milbo on January 24, 2017, 21:52:32 PM
Please try this version
http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1045/com_virtuemart.3.0.18.9_extract_first_9430.zip

The category setting had no option for "do not override"

Installed and works fine. I see many nice new settings at categories in vm backend

Just a side note :

A newly created category was not showing products.

We had to change the setting in the image to yes and products show correctly at VM/Products/Product Categories/And settings inside the concrete category.

By default Im not sure if the installation of VM or the creation of a new category sets all those parameters to "NO" hiding the products. Changing that one to yes or global worked for us.

Milbo

You installed a version before. So the parameters got created wrong. We must now check how it behaves on a fresh installation, or update of a vm3.0.18.7. Anything should be set to global, but I found already some parameters which are set to 0 or "default".

lindapowers

I must say is actually fantastic that the settings can be define per category, specially handy for multilingual shops as you said.

Im testing creating hidden menu's per categories, this allows me to set modules per vm categories and changing the settings in the category itself and is great all the options added.

Milbo

lindapowers

Oh when creating a Menu item for concrete categories the Custom Page Title    at VM/categories is read but not the meta description.

I noticed that the meta description is taken directly from the menu item.

I know you told me this wasn't though yet. For now we have copied metadescriptions from each vm category in to every menu item per category and works.