News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Nested children products

Started by Krx, December 23, 2016, 14:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krx

Hello

I wonder, is it possible to arrange products list template in VM backend so that child products are always shown below parent product?
So whenever products are reordered, child products are always below parent product:

Product 1 (Parent)
L Product 1b (child)
L Product 1c (child)
L Product 1c (child)
Product 2
Product 3

With this approach I could also eliminate need for "Products is children of" and "Product has children" columns.
Atm childrens are all over the place and we all know that we need to keep an eye on our children  :D

Hints? Modules? Plugins?

Thanks
Regards

PS I tried to upload 45 kb screenshot of what I'd like but I got this message: The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Studio 42

Quote from: Krx on December 23, 2016, 14:18:32 PM
Hello

I wonder, is it possible to arrange products list template in VM backend so that child products are always shown below parent product?
So whenever products are reordered, child products are always below parent product:

Product 1 (Parent)
L Product 1b (child)
L Product 1c (child)
L Product 1c (child)
Product 2
Product 3

With this approach I could also eliminate need for "Products is children of" and "Product has children" columns.
Atm childrens are all over the place and we all know that we need to keep an eye on our children  :D
In my tools (vm be pro) i use parent/child product tree, but this is selectable, because if you search by name for eg. this can give strange results, so search only work for parent if you enabled tree in my tool.
Its not so simple(or can be very slow) to display a tree that have search/filter possibility. In my case i had do some compromise to not slow down the search result(my tool permit to render 1000 virtuemart products)

Quote from: Krx on December 23, 2016, 14:18:32 PM
PS I tried to upload 45 kb screenshot of what I'd like but I got this message: The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.
I think it's because you have statut "beginer" in the forum, you need to post mroe then 100 times(i think) to send files.

Krx

Hello

Thanks for the input.

I already purchased something similar:
https://holest.com/index.php/holest-outsourcing/joomla-wordpress/virtuemart-excel-like-product-manager.html
But your component seems packed with more features and has nicer UI.

Do you by any chance have demo version for localhost only which expires in day or two?
Your components looks very nice but Id like to test it in my environment :)

I purchased several add-ons for VM last week and some of them doesn't work as I expected,
some have trouble with my setup, some have js problems etc.

All looked good in videos and screenshots but nothing beats real testing.

Studio 42

Sorry Krx, i only provide test release for my own customers shops.

My tool Vm Be Pro is used in more then 200 shops(perhaps 300 now), so i think, it should not give you some problem.
In all case if someone report me a problem, i fix it the same day(if i'm not on vacation), but i only had to fix the code 2 or 3 times, in more then 1 year and i add new feature all months(last week for eg. added quick image description editing)
If you really have technical issue, you can write me by email and i refund it, if we cannot solve your problem.
Of course, any tool have some limit, but i think, you don't loose your money, because in some minutes, you can do some work needing many hours in Virtuemart and some feature cannot be done with virtuemart, only with mySQL directly.

P.S: i know excel like and CSVI, it's why i have done this tool. Because all 2 are good product but to complex to use for most users.

Krx

Hello

My initial question still remains.
Parent -> children display in backend is a bit messy and not intuitive.
I noticed this 1st time when I started using parent / children options, and when I shown this to my possible client they noticed same thing.
It's not easy to navigate products in backend when having several pages of parents and childrens.

So I wonder is there maybe a hack or commercial plugin (Not 3rd party editing component)
which would enable desired display in product list in VM backend?

Thanks
Regards

Studio 42

If you need a feature, you can pay virtuemart developper to add it.
I don't think that someone 3rd party dev want do this, because it need some hours and have to follow internal Virtuemart changes.

aftertaf

just bought your product on the info mentioned in this post :)
Looks like ill save some time once i get my head around it.

One thing, when you do instant updates/batch updates etc... do you also change the updated flag of the products in the database ?
POSforWebshops uses this to update products that get changed, i dont want to mess up the POS... ;)
again, ill test on my sandbox see if anything breaks... :)

Studio 42

If you provide me how POSforWebshops add the flag, i can perhaps check to add the feature.

aftertaf

Nooo.. i mean in the table _virtuemart_products. There's a field called modified on, date time of last modifications.
Posforwebshops checks this field to know what products to synchronize. Same with _vm_product_category table ( unless it's named the other way round, no PC to check with..)

Studio 42

I only update needed fields to speedup the process.
So yes if you need to update each time the modified_on field, i need to add it as an option, because 99% of user don't need to update it, if they only update the product name for eg and i try to do the tools the fastest possible(only security check and filtering is tested) so you have a quick reply on update.
And i think you only need to know this in some case? because Posforwebshops only use some value from VM perhaps ?

aftertaf

from what i understand of tinkering / checking in the database...
Example : i used Bulk Associate (vm native function) to move many parts to a new category.
POSforWebshops didnt pick this up.
Only when i opened each part and saved it again in vm backend did they show.
I found that it was the modified_on timestamp that wasn't updated.

I may be wrong in my findings, but it seemed to match, cause & effect-wise..

Krx

Thanks for hijacking my thread  :-\

Studio 42

Quote from: Krx on January 14, 2017, 19:34:49 PM
Thanks for hijacking my thread  :-\

Sorry Krx. ;)
It's not possible in Virtuemart and i explained you what to do here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=136343.msg476617#msg476617.

Currently VM us 2 column for the child parent relation, if you need the trre in the list, Only core developper can add this or you can send a patch if you have a developper doing this for you.

Regards,
Patrick

Krx

Quote from: Studio 42 on December 24, 2016, 00:08:47 AM
P.S: i know excel like and CSVI, it's why i have done this tool. Because all 2 are good product but to complex to use for most users.

Hello
Because you don't offer demo I decided to do leap of faith and I purchased VM BE PRO.
After initial testing I decided to stay with other component.

Both components offer much faster editing experience than standard VM interface,
But I already got accommodated with previous component and I even did some modifications in it for our shop.

Regards

Studio 42

hi Krx,
Sorry for your conclusion, but perhaps it's because you worked many times with  Excell like

Regards,
Patrick