News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Manage discontinued products

Started by restodo, November 26, 2016, 14:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restodo

Hi,

I want to know If you are planning to add something to manage discontinued products.
It's an important function because good practices for search engines are not delete discontinued products.

I've solved temporaly this problem modifying product template but I think it'll be good to have OOB.

Regards!

AH

Create your own re-directs for products that you remove from the inventory

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

restodo

Thanks for your reply but I don't want to remove from the inventory.

It's important to have discontinued products to be compared with new ones.

GJC Web Design

But u don't state what u want to do with them....

why not set the stock to 0 and remove the notify button?
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

restodo

Quote from: GJC Web Design on November 26, 2016, 17:10:58 PM
But u don't state what u want to do with them....

why not set the stock to 0 and remove the notify button?

I think discontinued products should be shown last in listing without price and have a marker to notify plugins, for example Customfilters Pro, and then the plugin doesn't take into account in price filter.

Setting stock to 0 and removing Notify button I think it's not solve the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Studio 42

For product prices, Set a end period, so price should not be valid and add to cart is disabled too.
If Customfilters Pro check for price period, this sould solve it at same time.

K&K media production

try vm 3.0.18.5
http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files

there is a checkbox "discontinued" next to "featured" -> you can use this to display a badge in your template or display it on product modul or inside the category section

on product status tab you can use a stockhandle action on product level if its is enabled in main config stockhandle (there is a checkbox to enable the stockhandle on product level)

restodo

Quote from: K&K media production on November 27, 2016, 12:07:14 PM
try vm 3.0.18.5
http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files

there is a checkbox "discontinued" next to "featured" -> you can use this to display a badge in your template or display it on product modul or inside the category section

on product status tab you can use a stockhandle action on product level if its is enabled in main config stockhandle (there is a checkbox to enable the stockhandle on product level)

Thanks for the tip! I'll try.

I understand that VM 3.0.18.5 is still beta, do you know when are you planning to release a stable version?

K&K media production

I use it on a live site and would say this version is more stable than 3.0.18.

Try it on a test site and if you have no other issues, you should use it on your live site.

Studio 42

3.0.18.5 fix most stable release bugs from 3.0.18, but this are not tested.
In most case, you have more luck that your problem is solved in 3.0.18.5, but this can add other bugs too.

franzpeter

I would recommend to be a little bit more careful by saying people should install VM 3.0.18.5 for live pages. It is a developer version and it may not work with all existing templates!!!

K&K media production

QuoteTry it on a test site and if you have no other issues, you should use it on your live site.

restodo

Quote from: K&K media production on November 28, 2016, 15:54:35 PM
QuoteTry it on a test site and if you have no other issues, you should use it on your live site.

Thanks for all your answers.
Of course I'll try on test site, I have test, pre and live.

Regards!!

Marttyn

What is supposed to do?
I checked some products as discontinued, but they still show as normal. And can still be ordered.
Is something that the template should manage?
I mean, a template override should check if product is discontinued and disable price, add to cart, and show a badge?
Or its something tha VM manage directly?
Regards!

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum