Bug in displaying custom fields in parent/child products

Started by annpaul, April 29, 2023, 08:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

annpaul

Using VM 4.0.12 on Joomla 4.2.6

I have created a custom field as shown in the image below. This field has 4 possible values and all my products need the customer to select one of those values while purchasing the product.
So, I have added this field to an unpublished product and created the 4 values (shown in image). I am using this product as a base/parent product for all products.

Now, I created 6 actual purchasable products with the base product as the parent.

I was expecting that all 6 of these products will show the options configured in the base product and this was indeed happening for the most part. However, I noticed that the options were not showing up for 1 or 2 of the products. Then I realized that whenever I changed the configuration of a product and saved it, the options would be shown for that product but not some other product. So basically, it was like 4 products were shown with options and 2 products were shown without the options. No matter what I did, there would always be two products without any options.

So, I hired a developer to fix this issue and he figured out that it was some caching issue in customfields.php and suggested this fix (shown in image). After this fix the issue was resolved.

My question now is to confirm whether this is really a bug in VM or a known feature which I am not able to use correctly.

thank you.

GJC Web Design

For members the current version is VM4.0.18 and 4.0.20 will be released shortly.

This bug may well have been fixed now - I seem to remember this being reported...
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

annpaul

OK, so it was a bug? If so, would there be a bug fix for older versions?

annpaul

Is there a change list or release notes for the versions so that I can decide whether I should purchase the latest version?

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum