News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Base price showing in product details page but not in cart

Started by websmith, October 21, 2016, 13:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenkinhill

I have managed large sites using CSVI but if you are wanting to use a cash discount for each product then you need a tax/calc room for each of those values.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

websmith

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I need to create a tax/ Calc for each product to apply a discounted price? That would be over 400 tax/ Calc s for my situation.

That seems like an awful lot of extra work for a seemingly simple msrp price, discount amount and sales price.

Why can't it be to just enter msrp price and final price when adding products in product info panel? So much easier imho.

EDIT

I just created a tac/calc and this seemed to work. So is the following attachment correct? And is this the proper way to apply all discount pricing for present and future? I have to create a tax / calc for every product with a discount?

This seems terribly cumbersome. So if Im correct in my understanding, everytime a price change occurs, one has to change the base price in product info panel AND the tax/calc area if the amount or percentage of discount changes. Why not just leave the override and overwrite in product info panel so all updates can be done quickly in one area? Maybe Im missing the bigger picture or something, Im just not getting it.

websmith

Quote from: jenkinhill on October 25, 2016, 23:07:48 PM
I have managed large sites using CSVI but if you are wanting to use a cash discount for each product then you need a tax/calc room for each of those values.

When importing using csvi do you have to create the tax/ calcs in virtuemart first or can they be imported as well?

Jörgen

The way I am using discount is by creating hidden categories.

25% discount
50% discount
75% discount
summer sale
winter sale

To each of these categories I create a calculation rule with appropriate discount. By publishing and unpublishing I could place a product in both  in both Winter and summer sale. With the right one active I get the correct discount. There are probably other methods of doing this. But I like it this way.

More Reading
https://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/products-menu/taxes-and-calculation-rules.html

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

jenkinhill

Quote from: websmith on October 26, 2016, 03:13:28 AM
When importing using csvi do you have to create the tax/ calcs in virtuemart first or can they be imported as well?

I have cretaed them manually - but then most sites only have a small number of rules. Like Jörgen I now use categories to appply multiple rules when required.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

websmith

Thank you very much for your replies and info. I have just over 400 products in store. The problem Im facing is that the owner is not using percentages that a good number of products will be sharing. Just the opposite. Most products have unique percentages of discounts.

For example, product A could have a $10 discount. Product B could have a $25.04 Discount. Product C could have a $2.01 discount. So when all is said and done I will have about 300 tac / calc rules that will have to be modified next pricing update. I cant imagine having 300 categories and keeping track of all the calculations as well.

So my procedure is to edit the product, see what the discount is, create a tax / calc, refresh the product page to reflect the tax / calc, apply tax / calc, then check appropriate overwrite. Seems such a daunting task compared to the override where you can just plugin the base price, sales price and check overwrite and your done.

It took hours last night to get through my "A" products and I already have 45 tax/calcs. Do you see how cumbersome this procedure is from my end?

I appreciate all the help and guidance you all have provided. I just wish there was a better way to apply these discounts. I know the owner is going to have a fit when I explain how to apply updates to pricing. Its not user friendly at all.

Final question, is the caution in using overrides due to them breaking at some point? Im still baffled as to why they worked prior to 3.0.18 update and now are broken?

Jörgen

Hello

I am just curios on how the update of prices is done today. How does the customer set the discount? Does he change every Product price manually or does he have some kind of system. If this is done after some kind of system then the upadate into VM should be easy to do. I can not imagine that every product has a unique formula, how does he update these hundreds of formulas ? Updating with cleverly named catgories would not be so hard I think.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

websmith

I believe they use a spreadsheet. The problem is sometimes they get different discounts or promotions from vendors and they markup according to profit and competition pricing. So the sales price is never a set  formula as they could adjust it by pennies to be more competitive.
And this would be for every product. So imagine having to adjust a spreadsheet with hundreds of products, then you have to duplicate all that work again just to update your website! Should be an easy import sku, price name, base_price, discount_price and sales_price and your done. At least in my simple mind.

I used csvi improved to import all the products and pricing. We were planning on using the same procedure for future pricing updates, but this whole tax/calc through a major wrench into the works. To be honest, This could be a deal breaker as its much more work than a simple yahoo store. Id gladly use an older version of VM if I can use the overrides and just import csv files for pricing updates. So much easier and user friendly.

EDIT
The pricing worked great until something broke on the 3 0 18 update. IN the product info panel you add base price, sales price, override and overwrite final price and your done.
So what would cause the base price to show in the product details page and not the cart? Why would the cart pull the discounted price as the base price? Maybe thats the question that needs an answer if anyone knows.

jenkinhill

You mention in the Joomla forum that you took this site over from another developer. I'm guessing that he/she had edited the cart template but not created an override, so after the 3.0.18 update the override was wiped out and replaced by the default file.  You are using the product pricing structure in a completely non-standard way, but here is a possible solution.

I assume that there are no profit or tax rules applied to the products. 
For each product enter the MRP or whatever you want to call it as the cost/final price. Then enter the selling price (ie cost price minus that product's discount) as an override.  Then in the product details you can display (after overriding language strings) MRP, discount and final selling price.

In order to get those to display as you want them in the cart you should edit and override the cart templates - the figures are all there.

The images show this using VM default templates and default language strings.

So all you need to enter for product prices are cost/MRP and final selling price. The discount value is automatically calculated.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

websmith

Thank you very much for your time and help Jenkinhill.