News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Country filter not working on tax calculation

Started by biltong, October 11, 2016, 19:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biltong

Using VM 3.0.18

I have created a tax rule of 0%VAT for shoppers who's country is United Kingdom.

I then set the logged in shopper's country to France but the 0% tax rule is still applied and it should not because I have specified United Kingdom in the tax rule. Surely this means that the rule should only apply to shoppers with country = United Kingdom?

Any ideas please??

Tax rule:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/09f65lc062

Checkout showing 0%vat rule still being applied:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0d365lc3f9

jjk

Just curious, in which case do British customers of wigs have to pay no VAT but French customer's do (assuming that both are not VAT registered)?

Normally you would add a 20% VAT tax rule for the 28 EU countries and no tax rule for the rest of the world.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Jörgen

If I recall correctly, You can apply several rules at once.
How does the other rule look like like that applies instead ?
For example 0 % + 20 % = 20 %, 20 % wins :)

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

biltong

Quote from: jjk on October 12, 2016, 19:16:16 PM
Just curious, in which case do British customers of wigs have to pay no VAT but French customer's do (assuming that both are not VAT registered)?

Normally you would add a 20% VAT tax rule for the 28 EU countries and no tax rule for the rest of the world.

UK citizens get full vat exemption for medical reasons for wigs, e.g. alopecia, chemotherapy - see http://trendco.co.uk/vat-exemption.html.

biltong

Quote from: Jörgen on October 13, 2016, 07:15:54 AM
If I recall correctly, You can apply several rules at once.
How does the other rule look like like that applies instead ?
For example 0 % + 20 % = 20 %, 20 % wins :)

regards

The other rule applies 20% vat to everyone.

The 0% vat rule applies only to Country=United Kingdom (and also to specific product categories and shopper group).

So surely the 20% vat rule should win when country = France.

Jörgen

Hello

If You deactivate the 0 % rule do You get 20 % then ? Is the 20 % rule active ?

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

biltong

Hi,

After unpublishing the 0% rule, the 20% rule is not active because the 20% rule only applies to Shopper Groups: Guest Shopper Group and Default Shopper Group. The logged in shopper on the frtonend is in the VAT Exempt Shopper Group so the 20% rule is not applied.

i.e. the 0% rule and the 20% rule are mutually exclusive by way of the Shopper Group Filter for each.

I was wrong in saying
QuoteThe other rule applies 20% vat to everyone.
It applies to everyone except the VAT Exempt Shopper Group.

Jörgen

If I understand You correctly, this is not an error, right ?

Regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

biltong

As per my original post, I'm sure there is an error with the country filter on the 0% rule not working.

Jörgen

Then I Think You have to show an example that explains it better. Because I don´t get it.

QuoteThe logged in shopper on the frtonend is in the VAT Exempt Shopper Group so the 20% rule is not applied.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

biltong

OK, Try this example:

Go to https://starfish.directrouter.com/~vc2598u2m59543r9/ and add a product to the basket from the homepage then go to the Basket / Checkout page.

Select Checkout as Guest, type in email address. Guest is in Default Shopper Group.

Now notice that in the basket, VAT is added to the price. 20%VAT rule applies to Default Shopper Group.

Under Name and Billing Address, tick the VAT Exemption box. Shopper Group is automatically changed to VAT Exempt by BIT Change Shopper Group plugin. 0%VAT rule now applies (it only applies to VAT Exempt shopper group and country = United Kingdom).

Now notice in the basket that VAT is not added to the price.

Now change the Country under Name and Billing Address to e.g. Spain.

0%VAT rule should no longer apply (even though the Shopper Group is still VAT Exempt the Contry is not United Kingdom) and 20%VAT should now be added to the price but this does not happen.

Thanks

Jörgen

I still don´t get it, You have to show the tax rule for of 20 % tax. That is where You might have Your problem.
Can not shoot in the dark.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

Jörgen

The Vat exempt shopper Group is not included.

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

biltong

It should not be included because the 20% vat rule should not apply to shoppers in the VAT Exempt shopper group.