News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Is 2Checkout safe to use?

Started by aerdna, September 24, 2016, 08:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerdna

I am using Joomla 3.6.2 and VM 3.0.16 with PHP 5.6, and am using the 2Checkout payment plugin that comes with the install. I have it integrated with a sandbox account and that seemed to be working great. I just attempted to submit an application to 2checkout.com for a real account and the 2checkout website gave me some odd errors. It said my account had been closed and wouldn't let me log in again after submitting the application, and when it sent me a confirmation "Thank you" email for submitting my application the email contained the placeholder tags that should have been replaced with my account number, etc.  It just seems like a really shoddy and unprofessional business from that aspect.

All of this makes me wonder if 2checkout is no longer a safe option for using as a payment option on my site.  I really liked how nicely it integrated so I want to know what I'm dealing with before replacing it with something else.

Are people safely and successfully using 2checkout in live sites? (I'm in the US and don't sell/ship products internationally)

Thanks,
Andrea

aerdna

Well, I think the lack of response says a lot here.  Here's what I found:

I really liked their payment integration and low fees but I attempted to open an account with them using a business EIN (I'm in the US) and immediately they closed my account upon submitting my information to their website and prevented me from accessing my account and my sandbox setup (although the sandbox continued to work).  I tried to reach them by phone - no response and no voicemail return. I emailed them and eventually got a response from some guy telling me to email him my social security number (major no-no) because they can't use an EIN for a credit check.  There were many red flags in my correspondence with him, and their website continued to have errors of "too many redirects", etc.  He repeatedly sent me canned responses and ignored the issues of my particular situation and my questions.  I looked up their BBB (Better Business Bureau) records and found a lot of negative issues - people getting scammed out of money, interruption of service for months without notice, holding funds, charging fees while blocking access to services, non-responsive, etc.  It was enough for me to go with my gut and pick something else for my payment processing.

I previously was going to use paypal but don't like the non professional free integration.  My site is not live yet and will likely have very little income initially so I don't like the idea of a monthly fee to get a seemless integration. 

I'm going back to trying to integrate Pay with Amazon and probably include PayPal as well initially.  It looks like the Amazon vm plugin is not tested for the US and doesn't look like it uses the actively developed Pay with Amazon API code...so it seems like a lot of work and testing there for me.