News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Stockable Variants --> Multivariants migration issue

Started by randgleather, September 19, 2016, 05:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randgleather

Hi all,
  I'm struggling with a few problems after upgrading my site from VM2.6.22 to VM3.0.16 (running on J2.5.28). 
After much forum research I found that:

• Stockable Variants are no longer supported
  • Multivariants are the new and improved option!
  • there doesn't appear to be a clear upgrade path for converting your Stockable Variants to Multivariants (except manually enabling them for each product)

After scouring the forums all day, I've seen Milbo mention a few times that they were going to try to automate conversion of Stockable to Multi at some point, but no mention of if it ever happened. 

I have almost 17,000 products on my site.  About 7,000 parent products and around 10,000 child products.  Manually configuring them looks like a nightmare.

For what its worth, I really like the new MultiVariants.  I think in the long run they will be much better for the platform, but I think providing a usable upgrade path for everyone who used the Stockable Variant plugin is also important.  Maybe I just missed some stupid detail and it's all in there but I'm just missing it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GJC Web Design

afaik there isn't an upgrade path

what is nice though is as soon as you apply the MV to the parent the correct children are "connected" along with the custom fields etc (of the old stockable I mean)
Effectively 2 or 3 clicks to "reform" them

Perhaps there is some possibility to make a script to automate this but in this case we just assigned a Work Experience Noddy to it and let the UK government foot the bill..   :)
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation