News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Problem with multilingual categories

Started by panoss, August 30, 2016, 09:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panoss

Hi everybody
I 'm trying to make a bilingual e-shop (English - Greek) with Virtuemart (3.0.14) in my localhost.

My Joomla installation (3.62) is bilingual, works fine.

I Installed everything for VM to add Greek Language as per these instructions.

But when I create a new category, and while it has not yet been saved, I can't choose language, as there is no drop-down box for language selection.
It only has 'ENG English (en-GB)', so I can save it only as English.

I looked in table #__virtuemart_categories_en_gb and it was saved there.

(I created a table #__virtuemart_categories_el_gr which I concluded that should exist, but it didn't)

Now that the category was saved, I could choose a language.
I chose 'Greek' and saved it again.
The page was refreshed BUT the language on the left was 'ENG English (en-GB)' again! (in some other related topics I found that that's because it takes joomla's dfault language, which is quite strange, it should indicate the category's language).

Anyway I looked again in tables: the category was in both (#__virtuemart_categories_en_gb AND #__virtuemart_categories_el_gr)!!

So, something is very wrong with multilinguality in VM.
Or I have made some incorrect installation?

Is there something I can check? Or fix?

VM does not work in Joomla 3.62? Only in 2.5?

I just tried and with the Joomla 2.5 (VirtueMart3.0.14_Joomla_2.5.29-Stable-Full_Package.zip), exactly the same bahavior :(...
Virtuemart 3.2.4 on Joomla! 3.8.0

GJC Web Design

with J3.6.x u must be on VM3.0.16+ http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1000/com_virtuemart.3.0.16_extract_first.zip

QuoteAnyway I looked again in tables: the category was in both (#__virtuemart_categories_en_gb AND #__virtuemart_categories_el_gr)!!

why is this a problem?  these are translations of cats..  not different cats in GR and EN
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

panoss

Quote from: GJC Web Design on August 30, 2016, 12:03:28 PM

QuoteAnyway I looked again in tables: the category was in both (#__virtuemart_categories_en_gb AND #__virtuemart_categories_el_gr)!!

why is this a problem?  these are translations of cats..  not different cats in GR and EN
Let me describe what I did for showing a list of categories in the front page of VM:

In Joomla I have 3 menus:
1. Main Menu : Language: ALL
2. Main Menu EN: Language: English
       menu item HOME, Language: English, Menu Item Type: front page (that is VM frontpage)
3. Main Menu GR: Language: Greek
       menu item HOME, Language: Greek, Menu Item Type: front page

In VM:
I made a category twice:
1. Name = 'Curtains', Language: English
2. Name = 'Curtines', Language: Greek

They have as parent the 'root'.

BUT they appear both simultaneously:
When I switch language (with language switcher) to 'English' and click on 'HOME' I see:
Curtains  Curtines

(I should see only 'Curtains')

The same when I switch to 'Greek'.

(I should see only 'Curtines')

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

GJC Web Design

QuoteI made a category twice:
1. Name = 'Curtains', Language: English
2. Name = 'Curtines', Language: Greek

why?

you make curtains once in en-- save -- choose Greek in the dropdown, translate

why are u making 2 separate cats for the same products? - just translate them
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

panoss

You 're right guys, I only had to choose 'greek' from the drop down, translate it an save it.
And it works!  :D

But I had to add, manually, another table: '#__virtuemart_vendors_el_gr'. That's not very encouraging.

Thank you all!

edit1:
Well...it doesn't exactly work: I added two more categories (with parent category 'Top level category') but it only shows the first category in the front page! :-\

edit2:
In the 'Images' tab of one of the categories, I chose Language 'Select all' saved it and the categories appeared! All 3 of them.
I deleted the languages from the 'Languages' field, saved it and continues to work.
Don't know what happened...

But I can't change the ordering of the categories in the front page...
I tried in the 'Product Categories' menu, where we can see the list of the categories, clickinw in the arrow of the category (in the ordering column), a message showed up:
Item Moved Down but the ordering of the categories in the front page remains unchanged.
I also tried in the edit view of the category, Product Category Form->Details->Category Ordering, nothing.

panoss

I entered a new category, it didn't show in the front page.
But after a few minutes passed...it shows in the front page!! :o

Does this sound normal to you?

jenkinhill

You should clear caches every time when testing.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

panoss

panoss

In class VirtueMartModelCategory
function getChildCategoryList I put:

$useCache = false;

And now works normally, it updates immediately.

It must be related to cache, but clearing my browsers' cache didn't help.

GJC Web Design

QuoteYou should clear caches every time when testing.

the JOOMLA cache!

QuoteBut I had to add, manually, another table: '#__virtuemart_vendors_el_gr'.

odd this.. quite  a few report that the lang tables don't get created .. but this is normally fixed by using the VM->Tools-> Table updater
GJC Web Design

fotonio

The virtuemart creates automatically the appropriate tables for the language you have as site default in the moment of the VM component installation.
Try to set greek as default site language and install again virtuemart without uninstalling. It will create the tables for the greek language.
That worked for me.