News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Does child products cause duplication of content?

Started by OriyanJ, March 21, 2016, 09:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OriyanJ

Excuse my newbie question, but does having 5 child products (without any description in them) for 1 father product (with global description) means duplication of content?
VirtueMart 3.2.2

lindapowers

Quote from: OriyanJ on March 21, 2016, 09:55:10 AM
Excuse my newbie question, but does having 5 child products (without any description in them) for 1 father product (with global description) means duplication of content?

If you use childs you should write a unique description for each one, by default it will show the description of the parent, so that would be shown in 5 products with different links... I guess you can call that duplicate content.

If you don't need unique description, photos or stock use simple variants instead of childs.

Regards

OriyanJ

Let's say I have a shirt with 3 colors. They all share the same description, there's no need for me to make each color unique in its description. So you're saying I'm getting duplicate content either way. Isn't that gonna "hurt" my website with Google?
VirtueMart 3.2.2

jenkinhill

Google is brighter than many people think, it will not be harmful.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lindapowers

Quote from: OriyanJ on March 21, 2016, 15:28:14 PM
Let's say I have a shirt with 3 colors. They all share the same description, there's no need for me to make each color unique in its description. So you're saying I'm getting duplicate content either way. Isn't that gonna "hurt" my website with Google?

What Im saying is that I don't recommend using child products in that case, you should use simple cart variant of type string for example.

Or stockable cart variants https://breakdesigns.net/extensions/stockable-custom-fields

Child products will reload in different urls with the same description etc but simple variants wont, it will be the same url and product with their variants.

Regards

OriyanJ

Quote from: lindapowers on March 21, 2016, 21:34:40 PMWhat Im saying is that I don't recommend using child products in that case

The thing is, I'm also using child products to show extra information that changes with each child product. So I really need those child products.
I've noticed there's an option for "Use canonical link of the parent" when I create a "Multi Variant" custom field, but it seems to change URL either way.
VirtueMart 3.2.2

Studio 42

Hi,
I don't understand the problem with duplicate content.
The rule is simple, any pages can be duplicate content, so if your products description, option,meta ... are not same it's not duplicate content.
But this is same for 2 parent products or any Joomla articles...

OriyanJ

If I have 500 products (with global description, meta & keywords), these products don't share the same content. Each of them have 20 children, then I have a lot of duplicate content. Just wanted to know how badly Google or other search engines treat that content.
VirtueMart 3.2.2

Studio 42

Set canonical link to parent product ID, should solve the problem.
Content is content, so google do not make any different treatment for child product

GJC Web Design

and as was pointed out... G ain't dumb ...  Google spend millions on their algorithm .. if it is so dumb as not to be able to deduce the difference between legitimate similar content like t-shirt sizes and spammy but not clever SEO content then I think their money was not well spent....
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

OriyanJ

I appreciate your answers, you've been very helpful and made it clear now.
VirtueMart 3.2.2