News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Category changes

Started by djordje, February 10, 2016, 02:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djordje

Hello everyone,

First of all - thanks for great job you're doing here at the forum!

I have a task to make some changes in current categories tree on an existing website, and I have concerns about SEO. Basically, I need to put all existing categories and corresponding subcategories in a number of newly created categories. This changes will affect URLs of all 4-5000 products in database, and I'm asking for advice how to do this as painlessly as possible.

Would I need to do some kind of 'folders' redirections via htaccess to 301 redirect old URLs to new URLs or is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance

AH

From the limited information you have provided.

You will need to do re-directs.

If you dont want to write the .htaccess stuff yourself

I have had a lot of success using this extension for Joomla that allows you to manage URL redirections

https://www.selfget.com/products/redj.html

Very easy to use and maintain any number of rules.

You can use wildcards to simplify your redirects and thus you may end up with only a few of them.

PS. I am not affiliated with this company in any way  -

I just like the extension and use it for Virtuemart especially when I remove a product/category from sale and don't want a 404, or change categories etc
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

djordje

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have told that I use VirtueMart 3.0.12 with Joomla 3.4.8.

Basically for existing product, lets call it ProductA, current URL is something like /oldCategory1/subCategory11/ProductA

When I merge some existing categories into newly created categories, URL of ProductA will be /newCategory/oldCategory1/subCategory11/ProductA

As I'm new to Joomla and Virtuemart, my first idea was to use htaccess, but I will try the extension you mentioned.

Thanks again.

AH

REDj will definitely work for your scenario.

You can use the community edition to do your tests

I used the community edition but  upgraded  to the Enterprise edition because the extension saved me so much time and effort

I did not use the enterprise edition features, but felt that the developer should at least get 9 euros for all the time and effort he saved me :-)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

djordje

Thanks guys, I will definitely try this extension, and will let you know if worked for me.