News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Problems installing component

Started by simon, June 29, 2004, 02:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon

Hey everyone,
classic newbie q, (i do feel lame that i have to ask, but spent the whole day playing with the install of the component and i got nowhere).

So i have the latest version of mambo server 1.0.9 and i been trying to install the phpshop component.
the module installs fine, but the component just returns no page.  i have tried to put the com zip file in the administrator folder and install directly but it returns to me that the folder does not exist.
I have also tried the manual install but got stuck at the sql file insert.

OK, so this is a classic newb q, i been going throught the forums and seen a few other posts and tried the solutions provided, but i guess i'm not doing it right.
If there is anything else i can do please let me know

Does anyone know the cause of this component not installing?
it seems strange that it seems to crop up a few times,  
is this common with mambo server components?  like i said, i'm new to mamboserver.

cheers if ya can help,
good to make an faq that can take us newbs through the common problems of installing.

simon.

Mike

I have encountered this problem occasionally.  No it is not a common problem and can usually be traced to a corrupted component especially if other components install correctly.

I have also run across one other cause of either a component or module not installing correctly.  If fact I had this same problem while I was installing an events module.  I kept getting a chmod permission error.  All other modules loaded correctly.  I traced the problem to an existing module file from a previous version which apparently did not uninstall and delete properly.

Also make sure that your permissions for your directories are set correctly.  Refer to the install.html document which comes with mambo in the documentation directory.

Post edited by: Mike, at: 2004/06/29 05:41

simon

Thanks, but what steps shoul be taken to rectify the problem?
Should i create a new mamboserver site and re try to add the phpshop again.
u mentioned that it can b because of a corrupt component, but i have tried many different phpshop modules from different locations, admittatly all around the same version number.

So, it could be my permissions?
what permissions might need to be set? the mambo server install works fine,
ps, i'm using triad2apache for the my web server setup.  

cheers for anymore advice on this.

oh yeah, i doing this all on a clean install of mamboserver.

Post edited by: simonddavies, at: 2004/06/29 20:29

Mike

Are you saying that NO component or module installs correctly or just phpShop component?  Have you tried installing any other second party component?

simon

What i had meant was that the module will install  (i know the component is meant to be done first but it wouldn't work, so i tried it out to see if it'll work).
So it's only the component that doesn't intall, i just get a page can not be displayed returned from the server.  I just tried installing the AkoGallery, and i have the saem thing.
I guess it might be a permissions thing then.

Any offers of what i need to do?
does anyone reccomend an apache installer that will have the settings that i need and include the php and sql also,  I am using the Apache2Triad version 1.2.2.  Mambo itself seemed to pass the server setup and didn't report that anything was wrong.

thanks.

simon

It seems it was the server permissions.
I found a forum post saying that UniServer will provide the setup suitable to let mamboserver install components properly.
I have tried this server and it works great, i would recomend this server as it is very small and does not actually install in the traditional sense.  It also doesn't cain my system resources.

Using Uniserver for the apache and mysql server i have no problems now.
thanks very much.

simon.