News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

The need for speed

Started by prokops, January 22, 2016, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenkinhill

I agree, it looks like a slow server with limited resources. It is not helped by your template/page size, Firefox dev tools shows the home page weight as 2409 KB
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

bobchain

I contacted the manufacturer and asked to improve the resources on the server ... the goal is to get to have a response within max 300 msec ...
For my part I will try to do more with their images or decrease the number of items on the slider so to decrease the total Mb of homepage... same for the result page... then I will inform you about the new speed! thank you so much for now!

Roberto

Studio 42

Hi bobchain
Quote from: bobchain on April 12, 2016, 11:43:00 AM
I contacted the manufacturer and asked to improve the resources on the server ... the goal is to get to have a response within max 300 msec ...
For my part I will try to do more with their images or decrease the number of items on the slider so to decrease the total Mb of homepage... same for the result page... then I will inform you about the new speed! thank you so much for now!

Roberto
This is not always a server problem. Sometime it's a plugin, bad config.
You need 1,5 second for a simple form to get the HTML and jchoptimise, that should give a speedboost, need 2 secondes, to load the CSS and javascript.
So i think all your website is badly optimized.
Changing to a better server, seems a good idea, but i think this only hide the real problem : Server setting, PHP Code and template optimisations are need and perhaps how you have set your product(product child,plugin ...)
You can divide the response time by factor 2 and render 3 or 4 time faster your site, without any server changes
Regards,
Patrick

bobchain

Dear Studio 42, thanks for your comments,
but what makes you say that it is "badly optimized"? image size?the product is loaded by costumer... (i could optimized all the media on the webserver...)  Gzip compression is anable, JCH is enable (not professional only starter plugin)
What makes a best "well optimized" site? what other?? the cache is enable (YES conservative and for some module is disabled) and plugin system cache disable (if I enable make problem and timeout errors)

the products are not structured in a parent/child,
each is an independent item and is connected from 1 to 4 categories
every product has either 1 or 3 price list,
all have relations with other products (necklace management magazine): relationship management such as: magazine -> 01 month, 02 month, 03 month, for each month, week 01, week 02, dossier ... 1, 2, 3, ...
what I believe is the cause of the major problems are the relationships with manufacturers, and specifically "authors", each has 1 to 9 assignments

the only plug-in used on site front-end is
flexibletemplate for VM,
Nextend Accordion Menu V9
on homepage is BT Product Slider
propayment
nonumber extensions

..all extension (not free) approved by official extension of VM...

EDIT: I have also try to exclude from column search the manufacturer, id sku, GTIN(isbn), and use only title and the short description (update this info with the names of manufacturers related with the product...), but nothing change on the time of response of search module.

Other?

Studio 42

I only give you some advise. Perhaps using jchoptimise, is not right solution for you ?
After it's your server, and i don't want to examine all your plugin,modules ,template ....
YOur pagespeed is correct see : https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edizioniesi.it%2F
But simply something is wrong.

GJC Web Design

as Google puts it ->

You should reduce your server response time under 200ms. There are dozens of potential factors which may slow down the response of your server: slow application logic, slow database queries, slow routing, frameworks, libraries, resource CPU starvation, or memory starvation. You need to consider all of these factors to improve your server's response time.

so there is no magic bullet..  but you can do comparative testing.. throw a clean Joomla/VM in a subfolder on this server and test the response

e.g.  http://dev.virtuemart.net/attachments/download/1001/VirtueMart3.0.16_Joomla_3.5.1-Stable-Full_Package.zip

if it is still slow then I would vote with my feet and find a good server
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

bobchain

dear all,
Step 1: Replication of the site test (site test is a copy of VPS and Filesystem/DB - Apache PHP, mysql is the same)

Step 2: on this site new folder "esempio" with the new installation of J-VM3 with demo product on VM.
the page load always with a more than 1 second of waiting time, but the search load on 3-4 second for 60 product and 3 manufacturer...

Step 3: on site test with data production, I have disable all plugin, use template "protostar - Default" same configuration of the DEMO J+VM (cache... and configuration VM)

same time...

i have try also to import my product on the site "ESEMPIO", and work ok until I import also the manufacturer...

the search is the only page that does a select and dropdown list of all manufaturer...
also if from my template i can disable/hidden the select manufaturer from result search... I think that the query is done same...

where can I disable this call?

thanks

bobchain

SOLVED!
disable manufacturer from configurations...

the big problem is the long list of manufacturer... 4,821  the dropdown list done a not optimized query... and so the search take much time!!

however the time of server need to me optimized...

Thanks all guys!

Studio 42

A simple way to find out, if the problem is only Virtuemart is to load another page and check loading time(of course disable the Joomla cache) difference.
Another test is to disable all modules. Some are very poor(i don't say my are perfect, but i try) and do not try to speedup the loops and DB queries.
If you checked all (a simple way is google pagespeed to check JS,CSS and server) and it's slow after. Then it's your hosting server/plan.
And don't forget some third party SEF, can be very slow too!

bobchain

Hi Studio,
as I had write before...
QuoteSOLVED!
disable manufacturer from configurations...

the big problem is the long list of manufacturer... 4,821 in the dropdown list
the problem is in virtuemart in the object that show the list of manufacturer, object used only on the result search page

After disabling this feature, although research has worked with the correct time.

Studio 42

Hi bobchain,
This is not solved on my point of view.
I had load by ajax on demand the list, added some javascript and override the template.
But it's your choice ;)

bobchain

Dear Studio,
Your point of view is the same as mine, but not the customer.
For him to have removed from the list which offers an endless list of authors, is the solution of two problems:
1) faster search
2) no endless list that creates difficulties in navigation / selection.
Anyway, your proposal is the solution to how to make the loading of that list faster... and the propose is sicurly appreciate

Info: but open question... all site that you have propose on the previously message have not so many manufacturer? o almost so many relation from produts and manufacturers? no other requets for same problem?

Thanks

Studio 42

Hi bobchain,
I only give you some advise, but if you mean, your site is fast enough, you don't have to follow my advise.
I only see that, for me, some page can be load better in your site(not only the category page) but as i say, i'm not the webmaster of your site and if you and your customer feel happy with it, it's right for me.

bobchain

Hi Studio!
surely my English is not the best and probably are not able to express myself as I wanted.
what I mean is that I have really enjoyed your suggestions to improve as well as all suggestions of all the others.
The fact that I have written is resolved because I have resolved (find it) an issue that caused a considerable and inexplicable slowdown based on the content that you viewed.
Instead, the fact to further increase the speed of loading, optimize images, css, js ... what should be done consistently, is a continuous monitoring of new content is another matter, and I find myself in complete agreement with your ideas.
And finally the speed of loading of a page is not subjective, there are so many tools like Page Speed, gtmetrix, Web Site Optimization, WebPageTest, ... and other other ... and the happiness of the webmaster is not just to see his client happy ... but see darting his creation !!
A greeting

Milbo

When you have the manufacturer dropdown in a list, you can set an high caching time.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member