News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Possible to have different category menus?

Started by Johny.A, November 25, 2015, 21:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johny.A

Hello!

It's over seven years since i set up a VM and i'm now wondering...

Is it possible to have different left-side-categorie-menus?

I would like to have the site top menu drop down to have like "Mens clothes" and "Woman clothes" and "Baby clothes"
and when clicked opening VM showing only the selected category in the left category menu tree (with it's sub categories).

Cheers / Johny

jenkinhill

You can use normal Joomla menus to do that, a different module for each category. Takes time to set up but gives most control.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Johny.A

Thanks jenkinhil,

Great tip, i'll test that  :)

GJC Web Design

and if you have a huge number of cats (as I'm doing it at the mo) I find it easiest/fastest to just edit an exported sql file of a menu item..
dup the imports and just adjust title/slug/path and the cat id and import

leave the id empty

they can come out a bit strange in ordering etc but just use the menu "Rebuild" and it all comes good
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Johny.A

wow GJC Web Design,

That sounds quite advanced but effective.
I'm not sure i'm skilled enough for such a procedure  ::)

Is it:
1. Export categories from PphpMyAdmin
2. Edit that in a text editor/Dreamweaver or something?
3. Import them back in phpMyAdmin into a newly build menu?

Thanks 

GJC Web Design

def not!!!

things like DW can never be used for things like this

NotePad++ is my tool of choice

and export ONE cat MENU that you made.. study the sql query and change just what you need to make new ones

looks like

INSERT INTO `5ph_menu` (`id`, `menutype`, `title`, `alias`, `note`, `path`, `link`, `type`, `published`, `parent_id`, `level`, `component_id`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `browserNav`, `access`, `img`, `template_style_id`, `params`, `lft`, `rgt`, `home`, `language`, `client_id`) VALUES
('', 'mainmenu', 'Mediclinics', 'mediclinics', '', 'dispensers/dispensermerken/mediclinics', 'index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=33&virtuemart_manufacturer_id=0&categorylayout=0&showcategory=1&showproducts=1&productsublayout=0', 'component', 1, 164, 3, 10008, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 1, ' ', 0, '{"menu-anchor_title":"","menu-anchor_css":"","menu_image":"","menu_text":1,"page_title":"","show_page_heading":"","page_heading":"","pageclass_sfx":"","menu-meta_description":"","menu-meta_keywords":"","robots":"","secure":0}', 107, 108, 0, '*', 0),
('', 'mainmenu', 'Mediq O-line', 'mediq-o-line', '', 'dispensers/dispensermerken/mediq-o-line', 'index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=33&virtuemart_manufacturer_id=0&categorylayout=0&showcategory=1&showproducts=1&productsublayout=0', 'component', 1, 164, 3, 10008, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 1, ' ', 0, '{"menu-anchor_title":"","menu-anchor_css":"","menu_image":"","menu_text":1,"page_title":"","show_page_heading":"","page_heading":"","pageclass_sfx":"","menu-meta_description":"","menu-meta_keywords":"","robots":"","secure":0}', 107, 108, 0, '*', 0);

then import that query back into the DB with phpmyadmin etc
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Johny.A

Awesome  :)

I'll definitely going to try your way.

Thanks a lot