News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Is it ok to use apostrophe in image names?

Started by borro, November 17, 2015, 09:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borro

Hello!

I'm working in cooperation with photographer. I asked her to name image files using transliteration. I suggested to use some software which generates '(apostrophe) for some letters.
I tried to synchronize such images via Virtuemart admin pannel and that was successful. But two question arose.

Can apostrophes in image names lead to some technical troubles in a site work?

The second question is how will search engines treat such images from the point of SEO?

J3.4.5+VM3.0.9
Wish you happiness!

jenkinhill

On some servers mod_security will not permit the use of apostophies in filenames, and a lot of software will baulk at their use. But ISTR that you can get way with apostrophes in filenames by first encoding them, eg tom's.jpg would become tom%27s.jpg  - but that would be no use for SEO. The filename may also be modified on saving in the db - see https://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/2721-saving-filenames-unix-server-apostrophe-filename-help-needed

I always adopt the traditional approach to file naming, only alphanumeric characters together with hyphen or underscore instead of spaces.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum