News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

VM3 Adding a mailing product that also has a paid download as a variant

Started by beevo, October 27, 2015, 14:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beevo

Hi

First off I should say that I had a sojourn into VM when it was VM then VM 2 but still found it too complicated to set up for just a 'small shop' selling a few items (a bit like a sledge hammer to crack a nut kinda thing). Here I am back once again to see if things will be a bit easier now it's up to VM3.

I'm trying to find the simplest solution (both to implement and for the user to navigate when making a purchase) with regard to selling my CD albums. I would LIKE to set up a product that shows the album under the title and image. The user can then choose either of 3 options to add to basket.
1. The album to be Mailed out
2. The album Mailed with Lyric Booklet
3. The album Downloaded

Each have their own price. I had a bit of a read about an extension for VM3 that allows purchase of virtual products. I'm happy enough to purchase this if I can make things easy for the user and let them purchase hard copies for delivery items along with downloads in the same basket. But it seems quite complicated.
The album mailed out (and the option to include the lyrics) will obviously have shipping rules attached Depending on it's destination, but the download will be free shipping (and should add nothing to the calculation of shipping in the cart total).

Can anyone just walk me through the process of how to create a product that will list with dropdown options as above (1-3)?
A list of the steps required to produce these three variations of the one album.

In setting things up, I did have have a go and listed the same album in two different categories (albums for mailing and albums as downloads) but once I done this I realised it is too confusing for the user. Better to list the album ONCE and use a dropdown to select which version they want.

I do not have many products. Presently only 13 in fact (not including individual song downloads of which there are many) and presently have a static HTML site using PayPal buttons for this. I am now making a Joomla 3.5 site and hope VM3 will allow me to present these in a clear and intuitive way for the user to make purchases.

Any help much appreciated.

(attached is mock up of preferred presentation (option selection could be via drop-down list)

Using Joomla 3.4.4 and VM 3.0.10

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

beevo

Using Joomla 3.4.4 and VM 3.0.10

Milbo

http://extensions.virtuemart.net/all-tutorials/9-custom-fields/9-shipment-for-virtual-products

Q: I sell virtual and real products. What shall I do?

A: For all your virtual products, set the weigth to 0. For the other products, set the weigth to a value different from 0.

Create at least two shipment methods:

- one free of charge with the weigth condition =0. This shipment will be selected when the shopper only buys virtual products
- one or more other shipment methods for weigth different from 0. Those shipment methods will be selected when non virtual products are in the cart.

For the dropdown, I would use the generic child variants.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member