News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

product display per catagory

Started by 2cool, October 12, 2015, 15:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cool

Anyone can tell me how to set product display per catagory?
Some catagory needs 'by name' others 'by order' etc.
Is this possible and how....read about different product template??

Using joomla 3.4.4 vm 3.0.8

Thanks and regards,
Pas

Studio 42

Hi 2cool,

For different product template, you can force it in product edit form > Product Details Page setting.
For ordering per category, this is not in core but
Quoteby name' others 'by order'
is possible using order by default. Using by order as default and only save order in category needing order. But i know this solution is not possible for a really big shop(or use an import tool).

Regards,
Patrick

2cool

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. But i'm confused?
Can I use different templates for each category? and where do I store these..

I want to be flexible in displaying products for each category. Some by order, some by id, etc.
Hope you can explain me how to do....

Regards,

Pas

Studio 42

Hi,
You can have different template or layout but not derivate template settings.
Layout is the file you find in components/com_virtuemart/view/YOURVIEW/tmpl/default.php  folder for each component
or in the templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_virtuemart/YOURVIEW
You can do copy of default.php and all associate file to MYLAYOUT.php and use one or another at anytime on changing the setting in virtuemart layouts settings eg. fro product :
product edit form > Product Details Page setting.
TO change ordering, you cannot have multiple default ordering in vrituemart. I only give a possible way to change ordering directly in VM.
If you need to change ordering, i think the only solution is to write a system plugin, to check right order and change the ordering before calling the model. Or you need to hack the core virtuemart files.

Greets,
Patrick

2cool

Hi Patrick,

Wow I thought it was easy to set diffentent displays per category...
so I'm stuck with the general settings of vm for all products and categories.

I'm a bit surpriced no one ever jumped in to make this possible.

Thanks,

Pas

jenkinhill

It is quite easy. Manually order the product list within each category in the backend and save that order. In Config under Product Order Settings you should select "Ordering" for Default product sort order. Then each category display products in your set order.

The only time this may not work properly is if you have products in more than one category.

To use different templates if you wish, just create override files and name the override to be used under details for each category.  http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/templating-layouts.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

2cool

Hi Jenkinhill,

Thanks, already set all to order manually. Still would be nice to set this for each category :)

Thanks and regards,

Pas